Author Topic: Electric Car Manufacturers Remove AM Radios Claiming Safety Concerns  (Read 209 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Electric Car Manufacturers Remove AM Radios Claiming Safety Concerns

The Associated PressThe Associated Press
ALANA MASTRANGELO13 Mar 20231,316

Some electric vehicle (EV) manufacturers are scrapping the AM radio from their cars, claiming safety concerns. Although conservative talk radio dominates AM radio ratings, it is also considered a critical safety tool, as it is one of the primary ways that federal, state, and local officials communicate with the public during natural disasters and other emergencies.

Automakers such as Ford and Tesla have ditched the AM radio from their newer EV models, arguing that the motors on EVs interfere with AM frequencies, creating buzzing and signal fading, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

But former emergency officials are warning that scrapping the AM radio would mean EV drivers could miss important safety alerts.

Seven former Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administrators said in a Sunday letter — obtained by WSJ — to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and several congressional committees that the government should seek assurances that automakers will keep the AM radio in their vehicles.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/03/13/electric-car-manufacturers-remove-am-radios-claiming-safety-concerns/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Electric Car Manufacturers Remove AM Radios Claiming Safety Concerns
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 12:19:56 pm »
What would Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg know about AM raidio.  The guy is all about AC/DC.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Electric Car Manufacturers Remove AM Radios Claiming Safety Concerns
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 12:35:57 pm »
Another EV failure.