General Category > Elections 2024

DeSantis Calls U.S. Support of Ukraine Distraction From More Vital Interests

(1/11) > >>

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote ---DeSantis Calls U.S. Support of Ukraine Distraction From More Vital Interests

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a likely 2024 Republican presidential candidate, said Monday evening the U.S. shouldn’t necessarily help defend Ukraine against Russia’s invasion and instead focus its resources on issues closer to home.

“While the U.S. has many vital national interests—securing our borders, addressing the crisis of readiness within our military, achieving energy security and independence, and checking the economic, cultural, and military power of the Chinese Communist Party—becoming further entangled in a territorial dispute between Ukraine and Russia is not one of them,” Mr. DeSantis said in a statement broadcast on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” on Fox News.

The statement was in response to a questionnaire Mr. Carlson’s show sent to all major prospective GOP presidential candidates.

“We cannot prioritize intervention in an escalating foreign war over the defense of our own homeland, especially as tens of thousands of Americans are dying every year from narcotics smuggled across our open border and our weapons arsenals critical for our own security are rapidly being depleted,” Mr. DeSantis said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/desantis-calls-u-s-support-of-ukraine-distraction-from-more-vital-interests-2f3cc0ea
--- End quote ---

For me personally, this a deal breaker.  I won't vote for anyone who wants to abandon Ukraine to the Russians, in either the primary or the general election.  I'd just leave that race blank.

So looks like I'm on the rather hopeless Team Pompeo at this point.

Timber Rattler:
Yeah, it's a pretty stupid, pandering statement by DeSantis.

Free Vulcan:
He's right. We get ourselves sucked in up to our necks in Ukraine, then China has a cakewalk into Taiwan and controls the world chip supply because we can no longer fight a two front war.

mountaineer:

--- Quote ---The statement was in response to a questionnaire Mr. Carlson’s show sent to all major prospective GOP presidential candidates.
--- End quote ---
Here's what they said:

--- End quote ---

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1635442071073955841

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on March 14, 2023, 01:22:29 pm ---He's right. We get ourselves sucked in up to our necks in Ukraine, then China has a cakewalk into Taiwan and controls the world chip supply because we can no longer fight a two front war.

--- End quote ---

If someone finds Ukraine to be not a "vital U.S. interest", I think there's less than a 1% chance they'd find little 'ol Taiwan to be a vital U.S. interest either.  Especially since while supporting Ukraine requires only that we provide them with weapons/ammo, supporting Taiwan in a military action against China would require the lives of American sailors, airmen, and troops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version