Author Topic: Trump lashes out at DeSantis, says he regrets his endorsement of him  (Read 19587 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Trump lashes out at DeSantis, says he regrets his endorsement of him
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2023, 07:25:14 pm »
Reagan's 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not speak ill of thy fellow Republican.
The Ronald Reagan 11th commandment wasn’t necessarily set in stone like the rest of them—but perhaps it should have been. His famed 11th commandment dictated that Republicans, who were struggling to repair party rifts, needed to keep their dialogue and discourse with and about one another above board. It’s an idea that many in the Republican Party have been yearning to get back to.

Reagan reportedly pledged to follow the 11th commandment during his run for governor of California in the mid-1960s and stayed true to its principle throughout his entire career in public office. Pundits have speculated that his support for diplomacy among Republicans stemmed from a number of areas, but all agree that it had an unparalleled impact on the country, especially the Republican Party.  ...  Reagan knew that division and divisiveness wouldn’t help the party rebound from the presidential loss; rather, he saw the path forward as being reliant on unity. If the party was going to take back the White House, Reagan believed, it couldn’t get to that point if its leaders didn’t agree on what comprises the basic Republican ideals. Further, attacking or maligning other Republican figureheads would only keep the party further from its goals. ...
https://www.reagan.com/ronald-reagan-the-11th-commandment
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2023, 07:41:28 pm »
There are a fair number of Republica .voters who believe that the tone used towards fellow Republicans should be different from the scoreched-earth tone that may be appropriate against the left.

I know that a lot of Trump supporters believe otherwise, which is one of the reasons why we won't be supporting the same candidates in the primaries.

@Maj. Bill Martin

All true.

But,IMNSHO,all this trashing Trump BY alleged Republicans this early can do nothing but HURT the election chances of Trump OR ANY OTHER REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE.

All these anti-Trumpers ranting and raving against Trump 24/7 is the equivalent of getting drunk before going to take your drivers license test.

Notice how even the left rarely tries to slam him anymore in the media (which THEY control)? It's because they don't have to when all the "Miss Manners Republicans" are doing it for them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2023, 08:51:10 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

All true.

But,IMNSHO,all this trashing Trump BY alleged Republicans this early can do nothing but HURT the election chances of Trump OR ANY OTHER REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE.

All these anti-Trumpers ranting and raving against Trump 24/7 is the equivalent of getting drunk before going to take your drivers license test.

I actually agree with that, and it's the same thought I had during his Presidency.  Just because you may not support all of his actions doesn't mean you have to focus on those disagreements publicly.  The media and Democrats do enough of that on their own.  Republicans should focus their attention on criticizing the things Democrats do that aren't being covered by the media.  And I'd point out that while some criticize DeSantis for not "firing back" at Trump, implying that makes him weak, that actually means he's doing what he should be doing, and focusing on Dems rather than other Republicans.

Flip side is that I have zero sympathy for Trump personally if other Republicans turn on him publicly, even though I think it's stupid.  He's the one who established in 2015-16 that he'd trash other Republicans if he thought it got him closer to the nomination or Presidency.

Notice how even the left rarely tries to slam him anymore in the media (which THEY control)? It's because they don't have to when all the "Miss Manners Republicans" are doing it for them.

I agree.  But then, if you're the guy who started the fight, you don't really have grounds to complain when the crap starts flying your way.  I'm not really sure what he thought would happen, to be honest.  You do the "low energy Jeb" thing, and his family -- and all their friends -- are going to hate you.  He went after Elaine Chao, and now McConnell wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.  Predictable as hell.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:56:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2023, 08:56:55 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

All true.

@sneakypete I have never claimed to be an "anti-Trumper".  I'm just calling the situation as I see it.  Trump going after a very good, conservative and popular governor for no reason and before he's even announced he's running, makes him look childish and foolish.  He's not doing himself any favors nor the Republican party.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:57:54 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2023, 09:20:13 pm »
Trump going after a very good, conservative and popular governor for no reason and before he's even announced he's running, makes him look childish and foolish.  He's not doing himself any favors nor the Republican party.

And if Trump is going to go after other Republicans like that, he shouldn't be shocked if there isn't an outpouring of support in his defense.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2023, 09:44:33 pm »
Should Desantis announce, expect full frontal temper tantrum from Trump. I'm talking back on the floor, stomping elbows and heels and shaking head yelling, "it's mine" repeatedly.

Hell, he's close to doing that now. DeSantis would then need to be the "happy warrior" as Reagan was. Of course, he'll have to get through the primary, first. And, should he win the GOP primary, expect cries of "stolen election" from Trump and his supporters
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2023, 09:46:10 pm »
@sneakypete I have never claimed to be an "anti-Trumper".  I'm just calling the situation as I see it.  Trump going after a very good, conservative and popular governor for no reason and before he's even announced he's running, makes him look childish and foolish.  He's not doing himself any favors nor the Republican party.

@libertybele

So,you don't think DeSantis owes Trump any favors after Trump endorsed him for his run for Governor,and helped him squeek past his opponent and get elected?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2023, 09:48:11 pm »
Should Desantis announce, expect full frontal temper tantrum from Trump. I'm talking back on the floor, stomping elbows and heels and shaking head yelling, "it's mine" repeatedly.

Hell, he's close to doing that now. DeSantis would then need to be the "happy warrior" as Reagan was. Of course, he'll have to get through the primary, first. And, should he win the GOP primary, expect cries of "stolen election" from Trump and his supporters

@LMAO

Quit lying about it. You hate Trump because he is rich and rude.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2023, 09:56:34 pm »
@LMAO
 because he is rich and rude.

"Sigh"

We all are aware of that as you tell us in every post

You forgot "orange" this time
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2023, 09:58:43 pm »
@libertybele

So,you don't think DeSantis owes Trump any favors after Trump endorsed him for his run for Governor,and helped him squeek past his opponent and get elected?

Trump endorsed DeSantis for the 2018 election, and to the extent DeSantis owed him for that, it was for the 2020 election.  And in fact, DeSantis did support Trump in 2020, and Trump's margin of victory in Florida in 2020 was twice what he won by in 2016.  Debt paid.

This isn't The Godfather, where you do a favor for someone and they owe you for the rest of their life.  Expecting a 2018 endorsement to still obligate someone to support you for President six years later isn't reasonable.    Ultimately, I kind of dislike the whole idea of "owing" someone your political support period.  Because ultimately, every politician's first loyalty should be to the country, and to the people who elected you.  And fulfilling that loyalty requires that you support whomever you believe to be the best person for the job, not the person to whom you owe some personal debt.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2023, 10:15:26 pm »
Trump endorsed DeSantis for the 2018 election, and to the extent DeSantis owed him for that, it was for the 2020 election.  And in fact, DeSantis did support Trump in 2020, and Trump's margin of victory in Florida in 2020 was twice what he won by in 2016.  Debt paid.

This isn't The Godfather, where you do a favor for someone and they owe you for the rest of their life.  Expecting a 2018 endorsement to still obligate someone to support you for President six years later isn't reasonable.    Ultimately, I kind of dislike the whole idea of "owing" someone your political support period.  Because ultimately, every politician's first loyalty should be to the country, and to the people who elected you.  And fulfilling that loyalty requires that you support whomever you believe to be the best person for the job, not the person to whom you owe some personal debt.

Right

Were did this "Trump is owed the nomination" idea come from

I'd like to see more candidates. Hell, Rand Paul should throw his hat in, also. He'll  have to put up with "Paul Ryan globaist RINO" tirade from Trump and his supporters if he does. But it gives us more choices to weigh

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2023, 10:23:31 pm »

"Sigh"

We all are aware of that as you tell us in every post

@LMAO

Well,you are simple folk,and need to be reminded on a daily basis.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2023, 10:25:26 pm »
Right

@LMAO

From the alleged minds of people like you,who  are rabid anti-Trumpers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2023, 10:27:15 pm »
Right

From people like you who blindly hate "Rude Orange Man".

NONE of you people seem to care who  the next President is,as long as it isn't Trump.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2023, 10:33:50 pm »

NONE of you people seem to care who  the next President is,as long as it isn't Trump.

Very true.  We want someone better than Trump.  Trump is a washed up POS. His Use by date has long passed.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2023, 10:46:54 pm »

From people like you who blindly hate "Rude Orange Man".

Blindly hate? Well that's still bullcrap. I don't hate anyone.

I will never support Tumpy strictly because of the egregious damage he did as president to both libertarianism and fiscal conservatism.

Libertarianism and fiscal conservatism are the inarguable root of Conservatism.
Awful, terrible damage to Conservatism.

And somehow you want that overlooked. Never ever going to happen.

You can keep your big government candidate. No help from me.
And in fact, I will stand loudly against him... And those who insist he wears the conservative mantle,

He does NOT. And he CANNOT.
End of story.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2023, 11:10:01 pm »
Reagan's 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not speak ill of thy fellow Republican. https://www.reagan.com/ronald-reagan-the-11th-commandment

Trump detested Reagan. Compared him to Gorbachev when he testified for the Dems about Reagan closing tax loopholes in the 80’s.

Trump only cares about Trump. And I think he’s sadly mistaken if he thinks the crap he pulled in the Primaries in 2015-16 will work again this time.

Especially if DeSantis does decide to run. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline LMAO

Barry Goldwater

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2023, 04:49:32 am »
@NavyCanDo

Yeah,you are right. MUCH mo betta to drop your drawers and bend over and spread your cheeks,like the RINO's do.
LOL this kind of response is why I have to dismiss everything you say and can't take you seriously. Not only on this subject,  but everything.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2023, 06:35:20 am »

Why do you keep saying "Trump going after DeSantis for no reason" @libertybele when DeSantis is trying to get his fabricated hagiography carved into stone and all Trump is doing is pointing it out  -----  the DeSantis omissions and editing are glaring.

BTW, the whole damn political world knows DeSantis cannot officially announce his candidacy until his statehouse straightens out that pesky resign to run for Federal office thing you've got down there in the free state of Florida.  But, DeSantis already has his donor checks, and his campaign staff and establishment handlers are actively controlling his every move and statement.  Hell, the dude is already campaigning.

So where is it written that Trump (or anyone) has to wait for DeSantis to nail down his job for after he loses the primary before treating him as the opponent he already is? 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2023, 07:14:17 am »
Reagan's 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not speak ill of thy fellow Republican.

The phrase was coined in the 1960s by Gaylord Parkinson, who was the state chairman of California Republicans at the time.

Reagan first talked about the “eleventh commandment” in 1966, when he was running for governor of California.

At the time, Reagan had just switched parties and his Republican opponents were using this against him --- effectively.  Reagan used Parkinson's words to shield himself from political destruction,  not the Republican Party.

IMO, the "commandment"  served Reagan well through the rest of his political career, blocking attacks and feeding his affable schtick.  He was, if nothing else, politically saavy.

Still, I can't help but wonder if Reagan's rolling in his grave knowing Republicans are still using this silly catchphrase ---- and at the precise moment a fight for the soul of the Party is desperately needed.   :pondering:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 07:15:32 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline art.prout

« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2023, 09:20:51 am »
The phrase was coined in the 1960s by Gaylord Parkinson, who was the state chairman of California Republicans at the time.

Reagan first talked about the “eleventh commandment” in 1966, when he was running for governor of California.

At the time, Reagan had just switched parties and his Republican opponents were using this against him --- effectively.  Reagan used Parkinson's words to shield himself from political destruction,  not the Republican Party.

IMO, the "commandment"  served Reagan well through the rest of his political career, blocking attacks and feeding his affable schtick.  He was, if nothing else, politically saavy.

Still, I can't help but wonder if Reagan's rolling in his grave knowing Republicans are still using this silly catchphrase ---- and at the precise moment a fight for the soul of the Party is desperately needed.   :pondering:

It is absolutely asinine, and those using it should know better.

Offline art.prout

« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2023, 09:21:57 am »
Why do you keep saying "Trump going after DeSantis for no reason" @libertybele when DeSantis is trying to get his fabricated hagiography carved into stone and all Trump is doing is pointing it out  -----  the DeSantis omissions and editing are glaring.

BTW, the whole damn political world knows DeSantis cannot officially announce his candidacy until his statehouse straightens out that pesky resign to run for Federal office thing you've got down there in the free state of Florida.  But, DeSantis already has his donor checks, and his campaign staff and establishment handlers are actively controlling his every move and statement. Hell, the dude is already campaigning.

So where is it written that Trump (or anyone) has to wait for DeSantis to nail down his job for after he loses the primary before treating him as the opponent he already is?

For some "odd" reason, the blind refuse to acknowledge that.

888high58888

Offline art.prout

« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2023, 09:24:35 am »
LOL this kind of response is why I have to dismiss everything you say and can't take you seriously. Not only on this subject,  but everything.

Oh!  What a shame!  I am sure that he is crying in his cereal over that.  tri22

Online libertybele

« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2023, 01:25:54 pm »

BTW, the whole damn political world knows DeSantis cannot officially announce his candidacy until his statehouse straightens out that pesky resign to run for Federal office thing you've got down there in the free state of Florida.  But, DeSantis already has his donor checks, and his campaign staff and establishment handlers are actively controlling his every move and statement.  Hell, the dude is already campaigning.

Trump is Trump and if he wants to resort back to bullying and name calling that's up to him.  But people are tired of his crappola. DeSantis isn't campaigning he's addressing his constituents and remains in touch especially with those impacted by Ian.  He's doing his job @Right_in_Virginia.

I know you see DeSantis as a huge threat to Trump so if you want to try to make a good conservative  governor look bad, have at it. I don't care to participate in that game.  :seeya:

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.