Author Topic: In Midst of Trump Indictment, Florida Legislature Filed Bill to Permit DeSantis to Run for President  (Read 325 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
A Florida Senate bill filed on Thursday at 6:08 p.m.—minutes after news of former President Donald Trump’s indictment in Manhattan broke—is the “resign-to-run” bill that would permit Gov. Ron DeSantis to keep his post if he runs for president.

Under current state law, DeSantis would have to resign his post—effective later but irrevocably—if he qualifies to run for president. The state law applies to all local, state, and federal candidates. However, it is unclear how exactly it would work for a presidential candidate—running first in multiple state presidential primaries.
DeSantis has so far not declared his candidacy for president. One condition was seen as the legislature—with Republicans controlling both chambers with supermajorities—needing to act first to change the law. The legislature is in session until May 5.

A Florida legislator confirmed to The Epoch Times that Senate Bill 7050, filed on March 30, is, in fact, the resign-to-run bill. The legislator added there is no House companion bill, and the text will be added on April 3....

(excerpted)

https://www.theepochtimes.com/florida-legislature-begins-clearing-desantiss-path-to-candidacy_5163179.html#

I know there are some Trump supporters who think that there is something sleazy/dishonest in the idea of changing the law so that DeSantis can run without resigning, and I don't get that at all.  This is a duly-elected legislature that is perfectly entitled to revisit/change/amend actions of a prior legislature to deal with a particular situation.   If the elected representatives of the people of Florida decide they'd prefer to have DeSantis run from President and not have to resign as governor, why isn't that a valid expression of the will of the people of Florida?  It's fundamental to the concept of a representative republic that current legislators are not bound by the judgment of prior legislators.

Offline libertybele

Personally, I'm glad to see it.  Do I want him to run?  No.  I don't want to lose our good, conservative governor.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Personally, I'm glad to see it.  Do I want him to run?  No.  I don't want to lose our good, conservative governor.

The bright side is that you only lose him if he wins not just the nomination, but the Presidency as well.  So that would be a pretty  good result.

Offline libertybele

The bright side is that you only lose him if he wins not just the nomination, but the Presidency as well.  So that would be a pretty  good result.

Florida needs him.  This country needs all the conservative governors that they can get.  IMHO Washington is broken and it is more important to have conservatives at the state and local level.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Florida needs him.  This country needs all the conservative governors that they can get.  IMHO Washington is broken and it is more important to have conservatives at the state and local level.

States are still bound by dictates of the federal government, especially including the Supreme Court.  And the borders can only be controlled at the federal level.