Author Topic: A Lack of Machine Tools Is Holding Back Ammo Production, Army Says  (Read 350 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Lack of Machine Tools Is Holding Back Ammo Production, Army Says
The U.S. has enough raw materials, but the heavy equipment used to make artillery shells aren’t easy to buy.
SAM SKOVE | MARCH 3, 2023
ARMY UKRAINE INDUSTRY

A lack of machine tools is constraining the United State's ability to ramp up ammunition transfers to Ukraine, the Army's top weapons buyer said March 3.

The timeline for acquiring new machine tools “are often the long poles in the tent on getting capacity increased,” said Douglas Bush, assistant Army secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics, and Technology. “These machines are the size of buildings. You don’t just go buy it from a parking lot somewhere.”

U.S. and allied production of artillery ammunition has emerged as a key problem in supplying Ukraine, which burns through thousands of shells a day fighting Russia’s invasion. Ukraine may lose the war if it doesn’t receive enough supplies, European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrel said Feb. 20.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2023/03/us-artillery-production-ukraine-limited-lack-machine-tools-army-official-says/383615/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: A Lack of Machine Tools Is Holding Back Ammo Production, Army Says
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 03:53:03 pm »
They just "discovered" this?  :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 03:54:14 pm »
Well, they need computer operated ones now, because they likely can't find enough machinists.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 04:56:40 pm »
Well, they need computer operated ones now, because they likely can't find enough machinists.

So true.  Growing up, on occasion, I would visit many factories with my dad that were subcontractors for Honeywell.  Screw machine operators made a good living.  Damn dirty work though.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 12:42:46 am »
Not to worry!

Miss Miley can get her Chinese masters to manufacture them for us!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 12:44:44 am »
So true.  Growing up, on occasion, I would visit many factories with my dad that were subcontractors for Honeywell.  Screw machine operators made a good living.  Damn dirty work though.

@Wingnut

But VERY satisfying! You are manufacturing things that people need,and at the end of the day,you can look over and see what you have done.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!