Author Topic: Pentagon Needs To Complete Fielding of DAIRCM Countermeasures System To Combat Helicopters  (Read 184 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Needs To Complete Fielding of DAIRCM Countermeasures System To Combat Helicopters
By Loren Thompson
March 13, 2023

March 30 marks the eighth anniversary of the day in 2015 when the Joint Chiefs of Staff formally identified an urgent need for improved protection of combat helicopters against attack by man-portable and vehicle-mounted surface-to-air missiles.

Man-portable air defense systems, or manpads, have become ubiquitous among the world’s armed forces, thanks to their relatively low cost and increasing effectiveness. They have also found their way into the hands of non-state actors.

It is a safe bet that the joint force will encounter such threats to its rotorcraft virtually anywhere that it fights in the years ahead. The 2015 “joint urgent operational need” document recognized the requirement for all services to begin providing their rotorcraft with suitable self-protection systems.

That applies in particular to low-flying helicopters likely to be used frequently in combat environments, for example those attached to Marine expeditionary units.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/03/13/pentagon_needs_to_complete_fielding_of_daircm_countermeasures_system_to_combat_helicopters_886878.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Don't they have to be non-lethal and eco friendly :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They have to do something if they are getting rid of the A-10s... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis