Author Topic: At least 8 dead after 2 suspected smuggling boats crash off San Diego, officials say  (Read 122 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
At least 8 dead after 2 suspected smuggling boats crash off San Diego, officials say

The Coast Guard suspended the search for possible survivors of the deadly crash around mid-afternoon local time on Sunday.

March 12, 2023, 12:09 PM EDT / Updated March 12, 2023, 2:38 PM EDT
By Julianne McShane and The Associated Press

At least eight people are dead after two boats crashed off the San Diego coast late Saturday night, officials from San Diego Fire and Rescue said.

Authorities said they suspected the vessels were involved in smuggling.

An estimated seven additional victims remain missing. The Coast Guard suspended the search for them around mid-afternoon local time on Sunday.

The panga boats capsized around 11:30 p.m. Saturday, officials said, adding that a Spanish-speaking female passenger on another boat that made it to the shore of Black's Beach called 911 to report that victims of the other boat were in the water.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/8-dead-2-boats-crash-san-diego-coast-officials-say-rcna74548
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson