Author Topic: Concern grows over rich nations controlling sunlight  (Read 143 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Concern grows over rich nations controlling sunlight
« on: March 13, 2023, 11:18:45 am »
Concern grows over rich nations controlling sunlight
By Sara Schonhardt | 03/10/2023 06:49 AM EST

Radical climate interventions — like blocking the sun’s rays — could alter the world’s weather patterns, potentially benefiting some regions of the world and harming others.

That possibility, climate scientists say, means any research on such methods must consider those risks and involve the countries that already bear the greatest impacts from a warming planet.

“If you’re actually talking about actively deploying technologies to alter the climate, then you need to engage all of us in the discussion,” said Andrea Hinwood, chief scientist at the United Nations Environment Programme in Nairobi, Kenya. “And that means those who are the most vulnerable to these effects need to be able to have a say.”

The push for inclusive research comes alongside growing interest — and debate — over solar radiation management, a little understood way to avoid catastrophic climate change by injecting sunlight-blocking particles into the stratosphere or changing the density of clouds.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/concern-grows-over-rich-nations-controlling-sunlight/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Concern grows over rich nations controlling sunlight
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 01:06:06 pm »
How about including the folks in the discussion who will bear the most serious impacts from a cooling climate?

Only the people who live in climates that are normally hot think cooling the planet is a good idea.

If you don't like heat, there's a lot of land up north (or down south in the Southern Hemisphere), and those colder climes have relatively cheap real estate compared to the Sun Belt.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis