Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 35432 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2023, 01:52:16 pm »
Lady and Gents....   I have a sad bit of news that again, Joe Biden will forgo the ceremonial first pitch of the MLB season.

Secretly handlers have confided that they are afraid that if Biden is handed the ball, he will start rubbing them. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2023, 12:20:25 pm »

Ok, NOW it is officially spring!  Happy, happy day!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2023, 01:32:56 pm »

Ok, NOW it is officially spring!  Happy, happy day!

Seems so strange to have a full slate of games on opening day.  Wonder if had ever happened before.  I know it hasn't in my lifetime of watching.  (1965-now)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2023, 03:15:15 pm »
Seems so strange to have a full slate of games on opening day.  Wonder if had ever happened before.  I know it hasn't in my lifetime of watching.  (1965-now)

I haven't really been seeing a lot of hoopla about it, but maybe I've just been under a rock somewhere.  Apparently, it HAS happened, but not in a long time:

MLB Opening Day: Everything you need to know about the first day of baseball season
All MLB teams will play on the same Opening Day for the first time since 1968
By Ashlyn Messier | Fox News

Spring is almost here and for baseball fans around the country, it's the most wonderful time of the year. The 30 MLB teams are gearing up for a season that is kicking off with a unique start. For the first time since 1968, every single team will play their first game on the same day.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mlb-opening-day-baseball-season
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 04:00:22 pm »
I haven't really been seeing a lot of hoopla about it, but maybe I've just been under a rock somewhere.  Apparently, it HAS happened, but not in a long time:

It did happen in 1968? Guess that's a long time ago to remember.  Seems they've been in this fragmented start day forever now.  In fact I remember a few years ago, we ('Stros) had our first game two days after the offical open.  Was wierd seeing a team at 2-0, and us at 0-0.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2023, 06:57:42 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@GrouchoTex

And other Houstonians:

I've always watched the games on Comcast 639 (ATTSW). I've seen where that network was going into bankruptcy but that the Astros and the Rockets were negotiating a plan to purchase it. I haven't seen an update on that, and tonight's game isn't showing up on the directory. I'm in a panic that I won't have access to the games this year.

I don't do streaming, so that's out. No smart TV, just an old flat screen from about 2009. Not going to be able to spend extra money each month for access to the games. Am I out of luck? Are y'all able to watch* the games? I've waited a long time for opening day. Now I'm wondering if it's the worst day.  :shrug:

*I know one of you swore off the games (never can remember which one), so feel free to ignore my question. Unless you have an answer for me.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2023, 07:06:45 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@GrouchoTex

And other Houstonians:

I've always watched the games on Comcast 639 (ATTSW). I've seen where that network was going into bankruptcy but that the Astros and the Rockets were negotiating a plan to purchase it. I haven't seen an update on that, and tonight's game isn't showing up on the directory. I'm in a panic that I won't have access to the games this year.

I don't do streaming, so that's out. No smart TV, just an old flat screen from about 2009. Not going to be able to spend extra money each month for access to the games. Am I out of luck? Are y'all able to watch* the games? I've waited a long time for opening day. Now I'm wondering if it's the worst day.  :shrug:

*I know one of you swore off the games (never can remember which one), so feel free to ignore my question. Unless you have an answer for me.

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but this site says tonight''s game will be on ESPN which is sometimes why it precludes other local or regional programming.  But I'm betting it gets blacked out in the Houston area (I doubt we'll see a sell out during regular season), so I am guessing MLB TV / .com might be the only source. 

https://www.si.com/tv/mlb/2023/03/30/houston-astros-chicago-white-sox-mlb-how-to-watch-online-live-stream-free

I am not as a big of a watcher as I used to.  In fact prior to the playoffs last year, I doubt I watched more than 10 Astros games all season.  Pretty much sticking to box scores and game descriptions for details.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:08:01 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2023, 08:48:26 pm »
My TV schedule shows the Astros game on ESPN, digital channel 633 starting at 6pm. I want to see a bit of the pregame stuff, but it looks like ESPN won't be covering that.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2023, 09:01:40 pm »
Astros games to continue on AT&T SportsNet Southwest as talks to transfer ownership continue

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/astros-games-to-continue-att-sportsnet-southwest-17867326.php

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2023, 10:36:56 pm »
Baseball, A game that I dearly loved, is now dead to me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2023, 11:20:23 pm »
Thanks, y'all. I did find it. I'm bummed that they're not covering the pregame stuff. Also, I'll be bummed without TK, Blummer and Julia. I see where they are going back to ATTSW on the subsequent games. Then all will be right with the world.

Thanks for the article, LadyLiberty.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2023, 09:10:12 pm »
Marriage proposal at Dodger Stadium:   

https://twitter.com/Mazeaveli/status/1641664948614074369

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2023, 09:19:10 pm »
Surprised to find that Ohtani's 10 K's went for naught last night, as the Angels fall to the A's, 2-1.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2023, 01:06:42 am »
So... what are people's thoughts on the whole pitch-clock thing?

My social media feeds are filled with stories on it (thanks, The Algorithm) and how much it's shortened up the games. I haven't had a chance to see too many games yet (been listening on the radio though).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2023, 01:07:27 am »
So... what are people's thoughts on the whole pitch-clock thing?

More Communist bullshit destroying the foundation of America.

My social media feeds are filled with stories on it (thanks, The Algorithm) and how much it's shortened up the games.

Shorter games, yet the same number of commercials.  Go figure.  If they want to shorten games, get rid of the commercials.  When at the ballpark, it is clear to the fans when the games are televised.  The breaks between half-innings are annoyingly long when a game is being televised.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2023, 06:50:08 pm »
Surprised no one commented on TB's record tying 13-0 start. 

Impressed with the level of young talent they have, and their upside potential.  Reminds me a lot of my Astros about 8 years ago. The AL-C better not let them get too far ahead, or they'll have a quite a hill to climb come late summer.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2023, 07:03:06 pm »

Impressed with the level of young talent they have, and their upside potential.  Reminds me a lot of my Astros about 8 years ago. The AL-C better not let them get too far ahead, or they'll have a quite a hill to climb come late summer.

I remember Sparky Anderson's Detroit Tigers getting off to a ridiculous start one year.  Got to 35-5  (1984)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2023, 04:54:45 am »

@catfish1957

I was waiting until someone shut them out on their own turf. Guess what!  wink777

Recap*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dR2O34EjCM

*Sans Altuve, Alvarez, Brantley

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2023, 06:12:26 am »
@catfish1957

I was waiting until someone shut them out on their own turf. Guess what!  wink777

Recap*

Or a full season of Verlander.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2023, 04:04:54 pm »
@catfish1957

Recap*

Garcia was impressive on the mound last night, too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2023, 10:39:25 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2023, 09:14:05 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2023, 11:05:56 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2023, 11:56:35 pm »
Nice!  :rolling:

Honestly, I didn't even know that MJ was scrubbed from MLB drug testing.   Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2023, 02:16:34 am »
Honestly, I didn't even know that MJ was scrubbed from MLB drug testing.   Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Yes, in 2019.  But that was just poking fun at Bellinger always looking like he's stoned.  (See the fine print in the meme.)