Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 35913 times)

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2023, 04:01:50 pm »
I guess no hitters while facing the minimum number of batters thrown by lesser known pitchers are no longer notable these days.

It was a "Maddux" and it was beautiful!  What a fantastic accomplishment for that young man.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2023, 04:12:13 pm »
It was a "Maddux" and it was beautiful!  What a fantastic accomplishment for that young man.

One walk away from a perfect game and not a mention of it here until I brought it up three days after it happened.   **nononono*
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2023, 04:27:35 pm »
One walk away from a perfect game and not a mention of it here until I brought it up three days after it happened.   **nononono*

Yeah, this thread is pretty much dead these days.   :shrug:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2023, 07:20:07 pm »
Get everyone healthy and make the run with bad ass team you already have.  stRangers are new to pennant races of late, and I am guessing they will fold come September.

@catfish1957

So, basically wishin' and hopin', eh? Let me guess. Were you one of the 3%?  ****slapping It's okay. You're a neighbor, so I'll always have a soft heart for you.  :beer:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2023, 07:29:02 pm »
I guess no hitters while facing the minimum number of batters thrown by lesser known pitchers are no longer notable these days.

@Bigun

It's notable to me, but after crowing about the Verlander trade, I thought my mentioning it might be over the line. Don't want anyone to think this Texan brags too much.  wink777

Thanks for bringing it up, neighbor. It was an amazing day to be an Astros fan! I was elated for Framber. What a contrast between that performance and his struggles of late. I sincerely hope we have him back as the pitcher we know as well as Javier. If everyone is able to figure out what ails them, it's not impossible for us to take another title. One thing I do NOT want to do is lose the division to that gang up there in North Texas.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2023, 10:09:56 pm »
@catfish1957

So, basically wishin' and hopin', eh? Let me guess. Were you one of the 3%?  ****slapping It's okay. You're a neighbor, so I'll always have a soft heart for you.  :beer:

@AllThatJazzZ

Maybe I have a different perspective in that I have been a fan of the team since age 7 (1965) and have vivid memories of the team being inept and not competitive.  I really don't want to throw the dice and have to go through another half decade of losing 90-100 games.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2023, 05:00:28 am »
@Bigun

It's notable to me, but after crowing about the Verlander trade, I thought my mentioning it might be over the line. Don't want anyone to think this Texan brags too much.  wink777

Thanks for bringing it up, neighbor. It was an amazing day to be an Astros fan! I was elated for Framber. What a contrast between that performance and his struggles of late. I sincerely hope we have him back as the pitcher we know as well as Javier. If everyone is able to figure out what ails them, it's not impossible for us to take another title. One thing I do NOT want to do is lose the division to that gang up there in North Texas.

Javi's not back yet.  **nononono*

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2023, 03:46:24 pm »
Yikes!

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays...All Star FRANCO removed from lineup...for social media posts.

Just found out that he is being accused of having a relationship with a FOURTEEN (14) year old girl.

THIS on the heels of them shutting down their ACE for the rest of the season.

THIS as the Baltimore Orioles go up 3 games (4 in the 'lost' column)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/rays-wander-franco-social-media-allegations-mlb-investigation/edeky1nmlscuihspjje8roqc
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:48:15 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2023, 05:30:16 pm »
Yikes!

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays...All Star FRANCO removed from lineup...for social media posts.

Just found out that he is being accused of having a relationship with a FOURTEEN (14) year old girl.

THIS on the heels of them shutting down their ACE for the rest of the season.

THIS as the Baltimore Orioles go up 3 games (4 in the 'lost' column)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/rays-wander-franco-social-media-allegations-mlb-investigation/edeky1nmlscuihspjje8roqc

Yikes is right.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2023, 08:11:14 pm »
Why a 14 year old, I will never understand. These sports pros have no shortage of women, many beautiful, vying for their attention. Have to be sick and depraved.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2023, 12:19:07 pm »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2023, 03:26:40 am »
Why a 14 year old, I will never understand. These sports pros have no shortage of women, many beautiful, vying for their attention. Have to be sick and depraved.

Hey, she had the body of an 11-year-old.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2023, 05:13:37 pm »
Shohei.   8888crybaby

The news was devastating, heartbreaking, leaving the baseball world cursing to the heavens.

The greatest show on earth was cruelly ripped away from us in a late night Los Angeles Angels press conference.

Instead of having a chance for one last celebration this season, one last ovation to show our appreciation, we’re left with the numbing news that Shohei Ohtani’s historic two-way season is over.

Ohtani, who gave his heart, soul and now his arm to the Angels, no longer will be able to pitch again this season.

He was informed Wednesday that he has a torn UCL in his right elbow, which could require Tommy John elbow surgery, ending his 2023 season on the mound, and perhaps creating a seismic shift in his future.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/08/24/angels-shohei-ohtani-ucl-injury-out-for-season-free-agency/70666519007/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2023, 05:52:40 pm »
Shohei.   8888crybaby

That truly sucks @Polly Ticks baseball can be really cruel at times.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2023, 06:21:04 pm »
That truly sucks @Polly Ticks baseball can be really cruel at times.

And to think that he was on the trading block before the deadline.  Some team dodged a bullet.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2023, 06:38:27 pm »
And to think that he was on the trading block before the deadline.  Some team dodged a bullet.

He's a free agent at the end of this season.  He's not going to get nearly as much, obviously ... but I still wouldn't be mad if my team were willing to take that risk for a reasonable amount. Even if he never pitches again, he's a heck of a slugger. He's a huge crowd favorite, too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2023, 10:05:46 pm »

Red Sox 17
Astros     1

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2023, 11:23:13 pm »
Red Sox 17
Astros     1

I changed the channel and watched Tijuana, Mexico vs Curacao in the Little League World Series. Great game! Curacao will play Taipei for the international title.

I'm pulling for Texas (the kids live about 15 miles from me in Needville, pop. 3000).  One more win against the winner of the West (El Segundo, CA) vs Northwest (Seattle) --both of which they have already beat in the tournament -- to get the US title and they will play in the finals.

Yesterday's game (Needville, TX vs Seattle) went into overtime (9 innings) tied at 0-0.  Needville finally scored in the top of the 9th and held Seattle at bay to end the game. Check out the final play by the shortstop (skip to 11:30): 

https://twitter.com/comlabman/status/1694787457131094128
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 11:37:13 pm by LadyLiberty »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2023, 11:49:32 pm »
@LadyLiberty

That is awesome!  Thanks for sharing!   happy77

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2023, 01:33:38 am »
Red Sox 17
Astros     1

Piss up a rope.

Watched to the end so I could witness the dawning of a new career in pitching by Martin Maldonado. It was a hot mess, but the fans made the best of the moment, rooting for Maldy in the top of the 9th before leaving the ball park.

Tomorrow's another day. Maybe next year, Dusty will be gone.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2023, 01:34:31 am »
Shohei.   8888crybaby

Such a heartbreaking development.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2023, 08:59:45 pm »
Piss up a rope.

Watched to the end so I could witness the dawning of a new career in pitching by Martin Maldonado. It was a hot mess, but the fans made the best of the moment, rooting for Maldy in the top of the 9th before leaving the ball park.

Tomorrow's another day. Maybe next year, Dusty will be gone.

While it's true I'm still vexed that the ASTROS cheating essentially went unpunished internally in MLB, my post was coming more from an ORIOLES fan.

And to see these young guys play together like this is very rewarding. With a bargain basement payroll.

Even more is to see the Yankees buried in the basement not being able to buy a 'win'.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2023, 10:37:19 pm »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2023, 10:44:05 pm »
Strasburg 2.0.

Speaking of which ...

2019 World Series MVP Strasburg plans to retire (source)

Stephen Strasburg, MVP of the 2019 World Series, is planning to retire from baseball, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand on Thursday. The news was first reported by The Washington Post. The Nationals have a press conference tentatively scheduled for Sept. 9, according to The Post. The Nationals have not confirmed the report.

[...]

Strasburg signed a seven-year, $245 million deal with the Nationals after that World Series-winning season, at the time breaking the record for the highest-value contract for a pitcher. Since putting pen to paper on that deal, Strasburg pitched only 31 1/3 innings.

https://www.mlb.com/news/stephen-strasburg-retirement-nationals

~$7.82 million per inning.  Not too shabby.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 10:45:10 pm by Polly Ticks »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2023, 02:28:16 am »
While it's true I'm still vexed that the ASTROS cheating essentially went unpunished internally in MLB, my post was coming more from an ORIOLES fan.

And to see these young guys play together like this is very rewarding. With a bargain basement payroll.

Even more is to see the Yankees buried in the basement not being able to buy a 'win'.

Orioles fan?  I thought you were a Nat's fan.  Nevermind, I guess you are a cheap bandwaggoner huh?