General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Baseball 2023

<< < (11/83) > >>

dfwgator:

--- Quote from: Polly Ticks on May 07, 2023, 02:16:34 am ---Yes, in 2019.  But that was just poking fun at Bellinger always looking like he's stoned.  (See the fine print in the meme.)

--- End quote ---

My Tigers are in second place, how did that happen?

cato potatoe:
We watched the $74 million Rays beat the $279 million Yankees last weekend.    :pop41:

At first I wondered why our crowd booed so vociferously whenever Aaron Hicks came to the plate.  Turns out it was the Yankee fans along the third base line.  From upstairs it sounded like the whole stadium.  Hopefully the NYC refugees will help us fund a new place.  We have another series with them in August.

DCPatriot:
Have already asked two of my sons, they both came up with the same opinion...different than mine.   LOL!

Figured I could get some agreement by the 'experts' here on the forum.

CASE:  THE MLB DRAFT...live right now on ESPN and MLB.

Turned it on as the ROYALS were "on the clock".  Their #1 pick...#8 overall.

They chose a 6-1, 200lb. two way catcher...age 18.  Fresh out of high school and COMMITTED to LSU, a perennial "FINAL FOUR" contender in college baseball.

It's my understanding that a draft pick is only good for one year...you only have the player locked up for a year with no guarantee he'll give up an education at Louisiana State University, where he can now make $$$ as a "Top Ten Pick"!

Would you all counsel your son to forego attending LSU, to whom you've committed...in order to enter the Kansas City Royals Farm System?

I understand everybody is looking for the next Bryce Harper or Juan Soto, but throwing away a 1st round pick among all those College World Series teams?

...scratching my head.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: DCPatriot on July 10, 2023, 12:12:05 am ---Have already asked two of my sons, they both came up with the same opinion...different than mine.   LOL!

Figured I could get some agreement by the 'experts' here on the forum.

CASE:  THE MLB DRAFT...live right now on ESPN and MLB.

Turned it on as the ROYALS were "on the clock".  Their #1 pick...#8 overall.

They chose a 6-1, 200lb. two way catcher...age 18.  Fresh out of high school and COMMITTED to LSU, a perennial "FINAL FOUR" contender in college baseball.

It's my understanding that a draft pick is only good for one year...you only have the player locked up for a year with no guarantee he'll give up an education at Louisiana State University, where he can now make $$$ as a "Top Ten Pick"!

Would you all counsel your son to forego attending LSU, to whom you've committed...in order to enter the Kansas City Royals Farm System?

I understand everybody is looking for the next Bryce Harper or Juan Soto, but throwing away a 1st round pick among all those College World Series teams?

...scratching my head.

--- End quote ---

I watched a similar thing unfold years ago when I was coaching American Legion ball. One of our players was drafted right out of HS by the Reds, his dad talked him into turning that down and honoring his commitment to play college ball at a major Texas school. All American as a freekin freshman and sophomore sometime before his junior season the kid got badly hurt playing intramural football. Never played an inning of pro ball.  I know what I would tell your guy @DCPatriot 

DCPatriot:

--- Quote from: Bigun on July 10, 2023, 12:29:45 am ---I watched a similar thing unfold years ago when I was coaching American Legion ball. One of our players was drafted right out of HS by the Reds, his dad talked him into turning that down and honoring his commitment to play college ball at a major Texas school. All American as a freekin freshman and sophomore sometime before his junior season the kid got badly hurt playing intramural football. Never played an inning of pro ball.  I know what I would tell your guy @DCPatriot

--- End quote ---

@Bigun  Was thinking of you when I posted that...should have pinged you.  LOL!

:beer:   That's my take, too!   Plus, baseball contracts are 'guaranteed'

Ask Stephen Strasburg.   happy77

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version