Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 35474 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2023, 05:31:34 pm »
Yes, in 2019.  But that was just poking fun at Bellinger always looking like he's stoned.  (See the fine print in the meme.)

My Tigers are in second place, how did that happen?

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2023, 06:43:04 pm »
We watched the $74 million Rays beat the $279 million Yankees last weekend.    :pop41:

At first I wondered why our crowd booed so vociferously whenever Aaron Hicks came to the plate.  Turns out it was the Yankee fans along the third base line.  From upstairs it sounded like the whole stadium.  Hopefully the NYC refugees will help us fund a new place.  We have another series with them in August.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2023, 12:12:05 am »
Have already asked two of my sons, they both came up with the same opinion...different than mine.   LOL!

Figured I could get some agreement by the 'experts' here on the forum.

CASE:  THE MLB DRAFT...live right now on ESPN and MLB.

Turned it on as the ROYALS were "on the clock".  Their #1 pick...#8 overall.

They chose a 6-1, 200lb. two way catcher...age 18.  Fresh out of high school and COMMITTED to LSU, a perennial "FINAL FOUR" contender in college baseball.

It's my understanding that a draft pick is only good for one year...you only have the player locked up for a year with no guarantee he'll give up an education at Louisiana State University, where he can now make $$$ as a "Top Ten Pick"!

Would you all counsel your son to forego attending LSU, to whom you've committed...in order to enter the Kansas City Royals Farm System?

I understand everybody is looking for the next Bryce Harper or Juan Soto, but throwing away a 1st round pick among all those College World Series teams?

...scratching my head.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2023, 12:29:45 am »
Have already asked two of my sons, they both came up with the same opinion...different than mine.   LOL!

Figured I could get some agreement by the 'experts' here on the forum.

CASE:  THE MLB DRAFT...live right now on ESPN and MLB.

They chose a 6-1, 200lb. two way catcher...age 18.  Fresh out of high school and COMMITTED to LSU, a perennial "FINAL FOUR" contender in college baseball.

It's my understanding that a draft pick is only good for one year...you only have the player locked up for a year with no guarantee he'll give up an education at Louisiana State University, where he can now make $$$ as a "Top Ten Pick"!

Would you all counsel your son to forego attending LSU, to whom you've committed...in order to enter the Kansas City Royals Farm System?

I understand everybody is looking for the next Bryce Harper or Juan Soto, but throwing away a 1st round pick among all those College World Series teams?

...scratching my head.

I watched a similar thing unfold years ago when I was coaching American Legion ball. One of our players was drafted right out of HS by the Reds, his dad talked him into turning that down and honoring his commitment to play college ball at a major Texas school. All American as a freekin freshman and sophomore sometime before his junior season the kid got badly hurt playing intramural football. Never played an inning of pro ball.  I know what I would tell your guy @DCPatriot 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2023, 01:12:13 am »
I watched a similar thing unfold years ago when I was coaching American Legion ball. One of our players was drafted right out of HS by the Reds, his dad talked him into turning that down and honoring his commitment to play college ball at a major Texas school. All American as a freekin freshman and sophomore sometime before his junior season the kid got badly hurt playing intramural football. Never played an inning of pro ball.  I know what I would tell your guy @DCPatriot

@Bigun  Was thinking of you when I posted that...should have pinged you.  LOL!

:beer:   That's my take, too!   Plus, baseball contracts are 'guaranteed'

Ask Stephen Strasburg.   happy77
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 01:17:15 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2023, 02:16:28 am »
@Bigun  Was thinking of you when I posted that...should have pinged you.  LOL!

:beer:   That's my take, too!   Plus, baseball contracts are 'guaranteed'

Ask Stephen Strasburg.   happy77

I started to just post something my uncle and hunting buddy told me many times @DCPatriot

"A bird in hand is worth ten in the bush!"

He was right!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2023, 03:39:13 am »

I had thought a drafted player was locked up for two years, but I could easily be wrong about that.  I remember when Josh Booty got drafted even though he was committed to go to LSU.  But for Booty, he was a two-sport athlete.  So he took the baseball money and after a few years washed out in Double-A, then went back to LSU to be the starting QB on the football team.

Anyhoo, if this #8 pick catcher is serious about playing ball professionally, then he needs to leverage his LSU scholarship for the biggest signing bonus he can get, and then tell LSU he now has his own tuition money and won't be playing baseball there.  He will learn much more playing A-ball in two years than he would ever learn playing in college.  And he will have a sooner separation from the cursed aluminum bat.

By age 23, he could be dominating Double-A, ready for a callup to the show.  But after four years of college, it will take him at least another three years to reach that same level.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2023, 07:24:06 am »
I had thought a drafted player was locked up for two years, but I could easily be wrong about that.  I remember when Josh Booty got drafted even though he was committed to go to LSU.  But for Booty, he was a two-sport athlete.  So he took the baseball money and after a few years washed out in Double-A, then went back to LSU to be the starting QB on the football team.

Anyhoo, if this #8 pick catcher is serious about playing ball professionally, then he needs to leverage his LSU scholarship for the biggest signing bonus he can get, and then tell LSU he now has his own tuition money and won't be playing baseball there.  He will learn much more playing A-ball in two years than he would ever learn playing in college.  And he will have a sooner separation from the cursed aluminum bat.

By age 23, he could be dominating Double-A, ready for a callup to the show.  But after four years of college, it will take him at least another three years to reach that same level.

Thanks, @Hoodat   

This particular kid was the Texas "GATORADE PLAYER OF THE YEAR"...seems they're all going for the next Shohei Ohtani.  You also may be right about the 2 year lock-in/

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2023, 05:41:22 pm »
Schoenfield: {ESPN}  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37985650/2023-mlb-draft-day-1-winners-losers-top-prospects-available

As for my least favorite, hard to believe, but it's the Kansas City Royals. Taking a prep catcher in the top 10? No, thank you. Blake Mitchell is the first one taken that high since Kyle Skipworth in 2008. Never heard of Skipworth? That's because he never reached the majors. There's a reason teams rarely select high school catchers that high anymore: History says most of them don't pan out. No matter the scouting grades, it's an extremely risky selection.

@Bigun  @Hoodat     :pondering:    :laugh:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2023, 11:47:47 pm »
If the kid can hit, then he won't be a catcher for long.  The best value of a catcher is leading the defense and calling pitches.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2023, 12:00:01 am »
If the kid can hit, then he won't be a catcher for long.  The best value of a catcher is leading the defense and calling pitches.

Sean Murphy would like a word. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2023, 02:21:38 pm »
Such high hopes for my Baltimore Orioles (although I admit I couldn't write out the starting lineup or position roster)

Coming out of the Break, sweeping the Marlins. 

The O's are the hottest team in MLB right now...until they got embarrassed by the L.A. Dodgers...in Camden Yards!!

Was almost ready to go to one of these games.  Saved $150 and a case of heartburn.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2023, 07:03:33 pm »
Such high hopes for my Baltimore Orioles (although I admit I couldn't write out the starting lineup or position roster)

Coming out of the Break, sweeping the Marlins. 

The O's are the hottest team in MLB right now...until they got embarrassed by the L.A. Dodgers...in Camden Yards!!

Was almost ready to go to one of these games.  Saved $150 and a case of heartburn.

How many teams do you root for? Weren't you all in for the Nationals before the Orioles?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2023, 12:48:34 am »
How many teams do you root for? Weren't you all in for the Nationals before the Orioles?
That's the great thing about AL and NL. You can have a team in each league and (at least historically) you don't have to pick and choose until the World Series.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2023, 01:25:37 am »
Sean Murphy would like a word.

I seem to recall another Murphy who started out as a catcher.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2023, 12:59:39 pm »
I seem to recall another Murphy who started out as a catcher.
:beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2023, 02:42:01 pm »
That's the great thing about AL and NL. You can have a team in each league and (at least historically) you don't have to pick and choose until the World Series.

I get your point. I can only invest my heart, energy and focus in one team at a time.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2023, 07:26:24 pm »
Verlander is back in an Astros uni. This is as it should be.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2023, 04:14:19 pm »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2023, 04:18:38 pm »
Verlander is back in an Astros uni. This is as it should be.

At a loss of their best prosepect though, who had the tag potential "perennial all star" pinned to him.

Also add the fact that Verlander in his older age has almost consistently faded by season's end each of the past 5 seasons he's played in?
Didn't like this move at all.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2023, 04:21:28 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2023, 12:36:13 am »
At a loss of their best prosepect though, who had the tag potential "perennial all star" pinned to him.

Also add the fact that Verlander in his older age has almost consistently faded by season's end each of the past 5 seasons he's played in?

@catfish1957

What, if any, remedies would you have addressed in the trade for the things that ail us right now?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2023, 02:59:41 am »
@catfish1957

What, if any, remedies would you have addressed in the trade for the things that ail us right now?

Get everyone healthy and make the run with bad ass team you already have.  stRangers are new to pennant races of late, and I am guessing they will fold come September.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2023, 05:04:03 am »

Supposedly the Mets ate the bulk of his (absurd) salary.  The team benefits as long as they do not use him as a workhorse.  Most prospects flame out - huge gamble there - but few will complain if the Astros get 2 more trophies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2023, 02:59:50 pm »
I guess no hitters while facing the minimum number of batters thrown by lesser known pitchers are no longer notable these days.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 03:14:33 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien