Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 35944 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #400 on: December 10, 2023, 07:31:25 pm »
Matt Taibbi
@mtaibbi
·
I'm glad Shohei Ohtani get paid because he deserves it, but soon the best players will be on two teams owned by Lockheed-Martin and Exxon-Mobil, tickets will cost $9000, and fans will take out home equity loans to pay for hot dogs. @MLB has problems

Exxon-Moobil Matt?  They aren't even in the Top 10 of the S&P anymore....  12th.  The era of Big Oil is over.

More likely now to cover one of these worthless sponserships?......, one of those over-valued Tech Stocks.

L
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #401 on: December 10, 2023, 07:52:16 pm »
Exxon-Moobil Matt?  They aren't even in the Top 10 of the S&P anymore....  12th.  The era of Big Oil is over.

More likely now to cover one of these worthless sponserships?......, one of those over-valued Tech Stocks.

L

Don't know how much different it is today, but back in "USENET" alt-sports-baseball news groups back in the late 90's, it was effectively argued that "Ticket Sales" have absolutely zero effect on player salaries.

It's the television money
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #402 on: December 10, 2023, 08:15:16 pm »
Don't know how much different it is today, but back in "USENET" alt-sports-baseball news groups back in the late 90's, it was effectively argued that "Ticket Sales" have absolutely zero effect on player salaries.

I agree with that.  TV spends a TON on sports broadcasting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #403 on: December 10, 2023, 09:15:44 pm »

Understand NYY's televison network revenues can keep them competitive and subsidized into infinium.  Other teams?  Proobably not as much. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #404 on: December 11, 2023, 02:11:33 am »
@Cyber Liberty   @catfish1957 @Elderberry  @cato potatoe @AllThatJazzZ

First thought was, that he wouldn't even have to move.  His bedroom stays his bedroom.  LOL!

Then thought...WTH would possess him to play in California, with their confiscatory tax structure.

Then I thought...WTH...he was ready to supposedly sign with the Toronto BLUE JAYS!   :laugh:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 02:14:53 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #405 on: December 13, 2023, 09:26:15 am »
Surprised no one here posted from 4 days ago.....

LAD wins(?) the Ohtani sweepstakes to the tune of 10/$700M.    Fraught with Cap and deferral issues.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39076745/shohei-ohtani-join-dodgers-10-year-700m-deal

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #406 on: December 14, 2023, 07:59:45 am »
Surprised no one here posted from 4 days ago.....

LAD wins(?) the Ohtani sweepstakes to the tune of 10/$700M.    Fraught with Cap and deferral issues.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39076745/shohei-ohtani-join-dodgers-10-year-700m-deal

Was listening to the guys on "Locked on Astros" discuss this a couple of days ago.  **nononono*

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2023, 05:34:11 am »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #408 on: December 22, 2023, 11:53:47 am »
The Dodgers just piled 9 figure contracts on Glasnow and Yamamoto.  They are going to bring a salary cap to MLB if this continues.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #409 on: December 22, 2023, 02:18:22 pm »
This in a nutshell is why I don't watch MLB.  The large cities with the big bucks can field the strongest teams.  Like Miami did years ago, they won the world series only to have to trade most of their players away, since they couldn't afford to pay them.  I'd rather watch college sports, even though now they are getting paid also, which is pitiful.  Guess I'll be watching more high school sports now.

I think the LAD's are getting frustrated. They've sunk a boat load of money into talent, and only have the bastardized 2020 COVID WS win to show for it since 1988.

If I was the owner, I'd be pissed too.   So.......    2024?  "ALL IN"

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #410 on: December 22, 2023, 02:20:09 pm »
This in a nutshell is why I don't watch MLB.  The large cities with the big bucks can field the strongest teams.  Like Miami did years ago, they won the world series only to have to trade most of their players away, since they couldn't afford to pay them.  I'd rather watch college sports, even though now they are getting paid also, which is pitiful.  Guess I'll be watching more high school sports now.

They have ruined a game I once loved with money and asinine rules. They can ALL KMA!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #411 on: December 22, 2023, 02:28:44 pm »
They have ruined a game I once loved with money and asinine rules. They can ALL KMA!

Same here, but still get interested at playoff time, and only if the 'Stros are in the post season.  Haven't been to Minute Maid Park since about 2006, after decent box seats past the $40/ea. mark.  And $10 for a beer.  Not making any plans to go back soon, no telling what they cost now

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #412 on: December 22, 2023, 02:36:02 pm »
Same here, but still get interested at playoff time, and only if the 'Stros are in the post season.  Haven't been to Minute Maid Park since about 2006, after decent box seats past the $40/ea. mark.  And $10 for a beer.  Not making any plans to go back soon, no telling what they cost now

I have zero interest in any pro sport other than golf and rodeo now. I still love college football and baseball but they are determined to ruin that for me as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien