Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 36470 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #325 on: October 24, 2023, 05:16:04 pm »
The most interesting FACT about this year's ALCS is that neither team won a game at home. Think about that for a minute.

Same thing happened in the '19 series with the Nationals.  Astros were on the short end of both anamolies.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #326 on: October 24, 2023, 07:30:35 pm »
This one was hard to take. Losing to the Arlington Rangers with 2 major jackasses on their team (Simien and Garcia) was stomach turning. I'd like to wish my fellow Texans well, but until and unless those two jerks have moved on (or earnestly apologized), they can kiss my lovely Texas tush.

I would love to see Arizona end up crushing them in the WS. That would be my best-case scenario. No one wants to see another East Coast team in the WS. So since the Diamondbacks took care of the Dodgers, I hope they can take care of the Phillies as well. They will have much respect from me if they can eliminate both of those coastal teams and keep it here in flyover country. Will MLB allow it to happen? Will the umps attempt to prevent it?  :shrug:

I would be ecstatic if Dusty called it a day. He ticked me off all season, but the mistakes he made during the playoffs were just maddening.  9999hair out0000

I still miss Stromy, but he's probably thrilled to have been a part of developing a winning ballclub in Arizona. I like to think he could have helped our pitchers this year, but we'll never know. All I know is that we didn't get to enjoy the anticipation of having Framber or Javi or whoever on the mound because there was a 50/50 chance we wouldn't get the pitcher we had once depended on. It was pitiful at times. I'd pretty much written the 'Stros off this year because our pitching was so erratic. It was good to be wrong, but I do wish we could have gone all the way.

Oh well, I've got to shake it off and wait for what develops next year. I'm probably baseballed out for this year unless someone (hopefully Arizona) is about to put a fork in the Rangers. I'd tune in for that.

@berdie Please don't take it personally about the Rangers. There's even one more factor that forms my opinion of them and that's my snotty cousin who lives up there. :silly: For all she does to remove the joy from the lives of others, she doesn't deserve to celebrate a pennant victory.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online berdie

« Reply #327 on: October 24, 2023, 07:59:43 pm »
I don't take sports personally any more @AllThatJazzZ . :laugh: I can tell you are far more knowledgeable about this than I. I just jump on board when there is a major game involved. In the case of the World Series I'll get interested if Texas is involved or there is some great story involved. Like breaking the curse of the Babe or such.

Houston is a great team so I don't have any issues with them. The interstate rivalry is fun. That being said, I don't have a competitive nature...so I'm really not a good one to say anything. :rolling:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #328 on: October 24, 2023, 08:16:10 pm »
I don't take sports personally any more @AllThatJazzZ . :laugh: I can tell you are far more knowledgeable about this than I. I just jump on board when there is a major game involved. In the case of the World Series I'll get interested if Texas is involved or there is some great story involved. Like breaking the curse of the Babe or such.

Houston is a great team so I don't have any issues with them. The interstate rivalry is fun. That being said, I don't have a competitive nature...so I'm really not a good one to say anything. :rolling:

@berdie, the fun thing for the fans is the atmosphere in the air when your team is either on the brink of winning or has won the WS. Even during the regular season, it's fun to encounter people in store who are wearing the team merch. I hope that doesn't go away for us after this outcome. The Astros are a great team, but they haven't lived up to their potential. This should give every fan something to talk about when they're out and about.  :laugh:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #329 on: October 24, 2023, 08:23:11 pm »
One more thing for my fellow Astros fans...

Reggie Jackson was sitting with Big Papi and the rest of the panel before one of the games. He talked about how Jim Crane was devoted to diversity in the front office. My heart sank. As a fan, I want them devoted to winning. NOT diversity. Now I'll question every move made that includes some "victimized" group. There's no way to keep from asking, "Hmmm. Is he here on merit or for the sake of diversity?"

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2023, 08:29:17 pm »
One more thing for my fellow Astros fans...

Reggie Jackson was sitting with Big Papi and the rest of the panel before one of the games. He talked about how Jim Crane was devoted to diversity in the front office. My heart sank. As a fan, I want them devoted to winning. NOT diversity. Now I'll question every move made that includes some "victimized" group. There's no way to keep from asking, "Hmmm. Is he here on merit or for the sake of diversity?"

Our Astros are just one of 30 teams of that mindset right now.  Watch any MLB commerical and see the outright blatant pandering and exclusive catering to minorities.  It's like the game is giving white peole the middle finger, and asking them to stay away.

This is the primary reason, I pretty much ignore this game during the regular season.  If they don't want my fan $....  hell with them.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2023, 08:37:10 pm »
It's ALL just show business today! None of it is for real like it used to be.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2023, 08:39:17 pm »
This one was hard to take. Losing to the Arlington Rangers with 2 major jackasses on their team (Simien and Garcia) was stomach turning. I'd like to wish my fellow Texans well, but until and unless those two jerks have moved on (or earnestly apologized), they can kiss my lovely Texas tush.

I would love to see Arizona end up crushing them in the WS. That would be my best-case scenario. No one wants to see another East Coast team in the WS. So since the Diamondbacks took care of the Dodgers, I hope they can take care of the Phillies as well. They will have much respect from me if they can eliminate both of those coastal teams and keep it here in flyover country. Will MLB allow it to happen? Will the umps attempt to prevent it?  :shrug:

I would be ecstatic if Dusty called it a day. He ticked me off all season, but the mistakes he made during the playoffs were just maddening.  9999hair out0000

I still miss Stromy, but he's probably thrilled to have been a part of developing a winning ballclub in Arizona. I like to think he could have helped our pitchers this year, but we'll never know. All I know is that we didn't get to enjoy the anticipation of having Framber or Javi or whoever on the mound because there was a 50/50 chance we wouldn't get the pitcher we had once depended on. It was pitiful at times. I'd pretty much written the 'Stros off this year because our pitching was so erratic. It was good to be wrong, but I do wish we could have gone all the way.

Oh well, I've got to shake it off and wait for what develops next year. I'm probably baseballed out for this year unless someone (hopefully Arizona) is about to put a fork in the Rangers. I'd tune in for that.

@berdie Please don't take it personally about the Rangers. There's even one more factor that forms my opinion of them and that's my snotty cousin who lives up there. :silly: For all she does to remove the joy from the lives of others, she doesn't deserve to celebrate a pennant victory.

Jazzy....  I too thought having to lose to the rangers was a worst case loss.  But.....  think about it.  How many fans are lucky enough to have their team go to 4 World Series in 7 years, win 2 of them?  And actually go to the LCS 7 straight years?  Heck the Mariners have been around 50 years, and have yet to make it to the World Series.

We've been blessed with good teams, and have gotten a little to used to and comfortable with winning.  Maybe time to share......
Still with that, I hope the Dbacks or Phils embarass these dip sh__'s rangers with a sweep.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #333 on: October 24, 2023, 08:41:50 pm »
It's ALL just show business today! None of it is for real like it used to be.

Yep Reason no. 2-100.  MLB and COB office has done masterful job of destroying the traditions of the game.  Turning the stadiums into cheap looking pinball machines, ghost runners, among others......... etc.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #334 on: October 24, 2023, 09:00:33 pm »
Yep Reason no. 2-100.  MLB and COB office has done masterful job of destroying the traditions of the game.  Turning the stadiums into cheap looking pinball machines, ghost runners, among others......... etc.

This is what I saw last night in the 9th inning with Jose Altuve getting one last AB.

Diamondbacks catcher stops and throws a 'new' ball to pitcher.  SAME ball travels FOUR HUNDRED and GAZILLION FEET over the railroad tracks.  11-4 Diamondbacks.   happy77

You're damned right this is all show business.

But I love it.  Especially, when you see Garcia cupping his ear and shushing the crowd of 50K with an index finger across his lips...while rounding the bases during his grand slam.

He pissed me off in the 1st inning when he missed a HR *yellow line* by about 3 feet...and only ended up on 1ST BASE!

Next pitch or so, he steals 2nd.   

MVP gets tossed out of a game where he gets INTENTIONALLY BEANED (don't kid yourselves...call it a brain fart) he was hit and slapped at catcher's facemask.

Meanwhile Abreu can serve his two games in 2024?  What kind of happy horse poop is that?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #335 on: October 24, 2023, 10:39:29 pm »
This is what I saw last night in the 9th inning with Jose Altuve getting one last AB.

Diamondbacks catcher stops and throws a 'new' ball to pitcher.  SAME ball travels FOUR HUNDRED and GAZILLION FEET over the railroad tracks.  11-4 Diamondbacks.   happy77

You're damned right this is all show business.

But I love it.  Especially, when you see Garcia cupping his ear and shushing the crowd of 50K with an index finger across his lips...while rounding the bases during his grand slam.

He pissed me off in the 1st inning when he missed a HR *yellow line* by about 3 feet...and only ended up on 1ST BASE!

Next pitch or so, he steals 2nd.   

MVP gets tossed out of a game where he gets INTENTIONALLY BEANED (don't kid yourselves...call it a brain fart) he was hit and slapped at catcher's facemask.

Meanwhile Abreu can serve his two games in 2024?  What kind of happy horse poop is that?

I'm genuinely glad YOU love it @DCPatriot but I remember when professional baseball was still a sport.

Now it's no different than wrestling and football. ALL showbiz and I HATE it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #336 on: October 24, 2023, 10:46:13 pm »
I'm genuinely glad YOU love it @DCPatriot but I remember when professional baseball was still a sport.

Now it's no different than wrestling and football. ALL showbiz and I HATE it.

@Bigun

LOL!  Come on!   If it weren't for the Latin American, there would be only a dozen teams in the MLB.

"Joey Batts"...aka Joe Bautista of the Blue Jays was atune to Mark Gastineau of the Jets.

The former with a BAT FLIP...the latter a QB SACK.   Tatis, Jr. has turned the bat flip and the complete stop before touching 3rd base on a HR trot...an Art Form!   :beer:

It's a completely different strikezone from when you and I played the game.  Letters to knees.

And a breaking ball coming at you downhill ...with the standard height of the pitcher's mound...no wonder I could never barrel up.  LOL!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 10:48:34 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #337 on: October 24, 2023, 11:32:56 pm »
@Bigun

LOL!  Come on!   If it weren't for the Latin American, there would be only a dozen teams in the MLB.

"Joey Batts"...aka Joe Bautista of the Blue Jays was atune to Mark Gastineau of the Jets.

The former with a BAT FLIP...the latter a QB SACK.   Tatis, Jr. has turned the bat flip and the complete stop before touching 3rd base on a HR trot...an Art Form!   :beer:

It's a completely different strikezone from when you and I played the game.  Letters to knees.

And a breaking ball coming at you downhill ...with the standard height of the pitcher's mound...no wonder I could never barrel up.  LOL!

Enjoy it @DCPatriot I'll watch college sports until they ruin that. (It's coming.)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2023, 12:42:35 am »
Reggie Jackson was sitting with Big Papi and the rest of the panel before one of the games. He talked about how Jim Crane was devoted to diversity in the front office.

They're going to hire more white center fielders?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2023, 01:26:38 am »

:laugh: :beer:

"PUT ME IN COACH!!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 01:27:29 am by DCPatriot »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2023, 12:17:22 pm »

@Hoodat

:shrug: I'm confused. What does center fielders have to do with front office diversity?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2023, 12:20:38 pm »

Yay! I got my wish. Arizona goes to the WS and Phillies stay home! If this is my consolation prize, I'll take it.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2023, 01:27:03 pm »
Yay! I got my wish. Arizona goes to the WS and Phillies stay home! If this is my consolation prize, I'll take it.

:beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2023, 04:47:42 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

Congratulations to 'your' Diamondbacks!!    :beer:

Cannot imagine the $$$ lost in endorsements for the Phillies...and individual stars. 

Also, in re-negotiated commercial spot costs without the Eastern market.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2023, 06:55:44 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Congratulations to 'your' Diamondbacks!!    :beer:

Cannot imagine the $$$ lost in endorsements for the Phillies...and individual stars. 

Also, in re-negotiated commercial spot costs without the Eastern market.

How do you think they'll do against the Rangers?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline corbe

« Reply #345 on: October 25, 2023, 06:57:21 pm »
   Speaking as an Astros fan, I hope the Diamondbacks kick their azz.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #346 on: October 25, 2023, 07:13:58 pm »
How do you think they'll do against the Rangers?

@Cyber Liberty

Hmmm...

Well...as an ORIOLES' fan who watched them win 101 Games and play better on the road...and get absolutely CRUSHED by the RANGERS? 

Gotta go with the RANGERS. 

But the Diamondbacks are a helluva lot of fun to watch. 

...and THEY BEAT THE BLEEPING PHILLIES!!!   :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #347 on: October 25, 2023, 07:55:14 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Hmmm...

Well...as an ORIOLES' fan who watched them win 101 Games and play better on the road...and get absolutely CRUSHED by the RANGERS? 

Gotta go with the RANGERS. 

But the Diamondbacks are a helluva lot of fun to watch. 

...and THEY BEAT THE BLEEPING PHILLIES!!!   :laugh:

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #348 on: October 25, 2023, 07:57:37 pm »
Can you imagine the payoff at Vegas, if you'd put money on a DBacks-arlington WS this year?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #349 on: October 26, 2023, 11:30:04 pm »
Don't care what your W-L record is after 162.

Postseason champions are nothing but a crap-shoot.  Billy Beane was right.

Screw the coast teams with multi-million $$$ starting line-ups.

Somedays' the ball looks like a cantaloupe...somedays it's a white pea.

To me, it's one of the most fascinating aspects of The Game...and of life itself.

Certainly not all of them, but I've always suspected that the most stubborn anti-Trumpers on our board have never played team sports in organized leagues while growing up and leaving your teens.

@catfish1957  excepted...he's simply nuts!   :beer: