Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 36985 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2023, 12:37:37 pm »
The Babylon Bee
@TheBabylonBee
Dodgers Wondering If They Should Have Spent More Time Training For Playoffs And Less Time Honoring Satanic Drag Nuns
https://buff.ly/3rPaEk5
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2023, 12:52:11 pm »
I don't give a damn what anybody says...getting a week off with a "BYE" translates to "bye-bye"!!

Dodgers...Orioles... two offensively powerful teams are being swept?

And the Orioles...who won 101 games didn't just get swept for the first time in 89 SERIES. 
They got the SNOT beat of the them.

You cannot get your timing back after sitting on your ass for a week.  It takes time.

The opponent...the supposed fodder has been scraping and clawing daily. 

Tell me I'm wrong.    :laugh:

You're not wrong. 

I didn't think my guys were going to make it very far this post-season -- we don't have enough good, healthy pitching for it -- but the layoff definitely didn't help them any.  They came out cold as ice.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2023, 03:56:16 pm »
Just realized how much I miss @EasyAce 's take on things.  happy77

Hope you're doing well out 'there'!   :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2023, 04:08:52 pm »

@DCPatriot

You can still find them on his website.
https://throneberryfields.com/

:beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2023, 04:11:34 pm »

@DCPatriot

Had to search for  it, but he still posts his on blog.  Very knowledgeable fan, but we didn't see it eye to eye due to his coastal team bias, which was evident on an almost continuous basis.

https://throneberryfields.com
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2023, 04:13:25 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2023, 03:18:09 am »
Another 100-win season shot to hell.  The Braves never fail to disappoint.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2023, 10:52:39 am »
@DCPatriot

Had to search for  it, but he still posts his on blog.  Very knowledgeable fan, but we didn't see it eye to eye due to his coastal team bias, which was evident on an almost continuous basis.

https://throneberryfields.com

:beer:  @catfish1957

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2023, 07:58:41 pm »

@DCPatriot

I'm glad you mentioned him. Thanks to @Polly Ticks and @catfish1957 for providing the link to our old friend. I guess I'll stroll over there and see what he's got to say, although, to be honest, much of the joy of this postseason is overshadowed by the terrorist attacks in Israel. Even so, I'm looking forward to my Astros squaring off with their I-45 rivals. Lots of interesting storylines in that match-up.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2023, 08:38:21 pm »
@DCPatriot

I'm glad you mentioned him. Thanks to @Polly Ticks and @catfish1957 for providing the link to our old friend. I guess I'll stroll over there and see what he's got to say, although, to be honest, much of the joy of this postseason is overshadowed by the terrorist attacks in Israel. Even so, I'm looking forward to my Astros squaring off with their I-45 rivals. Lots of interesting storylines in that match-up.

@AllThatJazzZ

:beer:   Good luck!!  Be carefull of Scherzer. :laugh: 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2023, 09:53:36 pm »
Here we go again!!  The Game that keeps on giving!
NO Game #1 until Sunday night!!

...another chance to test the theory that batters are at a distinct disadvantage
if they sit on their asses for a week, playing video games.

RANGERS destroyed my ORIOLES...they haven't played for a work week.
ASTROS toyed with the TWINS...

I'm predicting a very low-scoring game.  Maybe even a shutout.  God forbid a no-hitter.

Dusty Baker vs. Bruce Bochy

Both took the GIANTS to the Promised Land.

@catfish1957   @Polly Ticks  @AllThatJazzZ  @Elderberry @Bigun (ya ole grouch)    :laugh:

@dfwgator   @mountaineer
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 09:57:12 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2023, 10:13:36 pm »
I hate that the World Series won't be decided until sometime in November. Ridiculous. Break out your mittens.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2023, 03:15:49 am »
And so it goes in GAME 1 

RANGERS SHUT OUT THE ASTROS, 2-0

Astros provide 5 singles...6 men LOB.

Verlander pitched a good game going 6-2/3 innings.  He takes the loss.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2023, 03:28:48 am »
And so it goes in GAME 1 

RANGERS SHUT OUT THE ASTROS, 2-0

Astros provide 5 singles...6 men LOB.

Verlander pitched a good game going 6-2/3 innings.  He takes the loss.

Fantastic game.    Go Rangers.  But please, no more Chapman,   he was very lucky that wasn't a home run.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2023, 06:45:33 am »
Fantastic game.    Go Rangers.  But please, no more Chapman,   he was very lucky that wasn't a home run.

Congrats.  Rangers were smart using a relatively unknown arm (recently from STL).  The Astros have played 97 playoff games in the past 10 years, and aftEr seeing them all, I can vouch I that that was the worst game I have seen for them in plate managment.  Never had I seen them swinging at so many bad pitches, and taking so many good ones. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2023, 12:02:34 am »
   FS1 Free Livestream to watch the Astros/Rangers Game 3, if needed.

https://tv247.us/watch/fox-sports-1-free-stream/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2023, 03:11:46 am »
Astros always do better on the road.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2023, 03:14:44 am »
Astros always do better on the road.

@Elderberry

Can we arrange to play the rest of the ALCS in Arlington?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2023, 01:45:58 pm »
The Rangers have historically been chokers, so don't worry.

I still think they will pull it off.  Outside a weak Max Scherzer, the Astros haven't hit  anybody in this ALCS.  Including what may be one of the worst bullpens in MLB history.  And that sometimes supposed vaulted post season experience, sometimes comes across as lackadaisical play and  over confidence.   Rangers in 7.

OTOH, Yordan Alvarez is a bad ass hitting machine.  Jim Crane......   Pay the man now for 10 more years in Houston.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2023, 09:09:40 pm »
I still think they will pull it off.  Outside a weak Max Scherzer, the Astros haven't hit  anybody in this ALCS.  Including what may be one of the worst bullpens in MLB history.  And that sometimes supposed vaulted post season experience, sometimes comes across as lackadaisical play and  over confidence.   Rangers in 7.

OTOH, Yordan Alvarez is a bad ass hitting machine.  Jim Crane......   Pay the man now for 10 more years in Houston.

@catfish1957

Astros have been lackadaisical throughout the year. Except when they got hot. But they haven't stayed hot for a sustained period of time. Also, our pitchers are a crap shoot. Just because we recognize the pitcher doesn't mean we recognize his pitches. It's been a white-knuckle year for me and my Astros-watching buddies. If they get scrappy and make it happen this year, I'll consider it a miracle. BTW, I wish we still had Stromy.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2023, 03:24:16 am »
As I was saying....    :2popcorn:

Yep,  Astros found their  mojo, they'll sweep the next two.    Rangers are the Rangers again.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2023, 12:33:15 am »
The Rangers have historically been chokers, so don't worry.

Even I underestimated the level of gag refex of this team.  Exciting game.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2023, 12:59:01 am »
Even I underestimated the level of gag refex of this team.  Exciting game.

This morning....was so sick of reading about "The Great Jose Altuve" all over the MLB channel and ESPN site, I mumbled

"That little Bleep!  Why even pitch to that Midget?  I'd walk him intentionally to START the game...and go for a double play.
Why let that little Smurf beat you??  WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU???

And that was after my 2nd cup of coffee!!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2023, 01:04:53 am »
Rump Ranger fans on Reddit are claiming Baker cheated by icing Arlington's reliever after his ejection.

Dumbasses....  who does  a one out one on, with a one run lead intentional HBP.  And Game 5 of the ALCS to boot.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 01:46:18 am by catfish1957 »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2023, 01:11:00 am »
Rump Ranger fans on Reddit are claiming Baker cheated by icing Arlington's reliever after his ejection.

Dumbasses....  who does  a one out one on, with a one run lead intentional HBP.

Another Rangers "Choketober"