Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 35929 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2023, 05:14:29 pm »
Orioles fan?  I thought you were a Nat's fan.  Nevermind, I guess you are a cheap bandwaggoner huh?

@catfish1957

LOL!

Come on, man! 

EVERYONE is talking about the ORIOLES.  A remarkable achievement for a team which lost 110 games two seasons ago.

I'm like a little kid...got their starting lineup and position players down.

Then I see they're essentially just kids themselves...all playing for one another first...THEN the fans!

Their record thus far for hitting with RISP is supernatural.  The line keeps moving.

Hoping that their closer's injury isn't season-ending.

I just hope the O's don't go after any of the current free agent superstars who will be looking to grab on for a chance at a World Series ring.

Not even Aaron Judge!

....okay, maybe Aaron Judge!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2023, 05:31:53 pm »
@catfish1957
Not even Aaron Judge!

....okay, maybe Aaron Judge!    :laugh:

:laugh: :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2023, 08:00:42 pm »
@catfish1957

LOL!

Come on, man! 

EVERYONE is talking about the ORIOLES.  A remarkable achievement for a team which lost 110 games two seasons ago.

Even though I have and always be an Astros "only" fan, (since 1965)  I am enjoying the rise of the O's at the expense of the Bosox and Stankees.

And I have to admit, I really did like those O's teams in the late '60's and early '70's that had the some of the greatest contingents of pitchers in MLB history, plus have the D and sticks the Robinsons, Boog, Belanger, et. al.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2023, 04:26:13 pm »
Even though I have and always be an Astros "only" fan, (since 1965)  I am enjoying the rise of the O's at the expense of the Bosox and Stankees.

And I have to admit, I really did like those O's teams in the late '60's and early '70's that had the some of the greatest contingents of pitchers in MLB history, plus have the D and sticks the Robinsons, Boog, Belanger, et. al.

Same here, @catfish1957

Skinny Mark Belanger...aka "The Blade" at shortstop and Brooks Robinson at 3rd...the best left side infield in baseball during that 'era'.

I always thought Cal Ripken, Jr at shortstop ruined the O's for generations.  It seeded the thought process that a power hitting SS was the "new" thing.

They went thru something like 26 different 3rd basemen during Cal's Streak...total bullshit.

His replacement, Mike Bordick .236/636 OPS was a downgrade offensively, but ends up in the Orioles' HOF...being a better defensive player than Ripken.

The O's run differential tells me that losing Bautista for the 9th inning could be 'fatal'.  Their games hereon are lengthened without him.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2023, 04:53:18 pm »
Same here, @catfish1957

Skinny Mark Belanger...aka "The Blade" at shortstop and Brooks Robinson at 3rd...the best left side infield in baseball during that 'era'.

I always thought Cal Ripken, Jr at shortstop ruined the O's for generations.  It seeded the thought process that a power hitting SS was the "new" thing.

They went thru something like 26 different 3rd basemen during Cal's Streak...total bullshit.

His replacement, Mike Bordick .236/636 OPS was a downgrade offensively, but ends up in the Orioles' HOF...being a better defensive player than Ripken.

The O's run differential tells me that losing Bautista for the 9th inning could be 'fatal'.  Their games hereon are lengthened without him.

Good points.  What should floor the youngsters today, is the fact despite the advent of all the improved athletism of players in general.  Brooks Robinson, IMO is still the greatest defensive 3rd baseman in MLB history.  Yeah, he gets the accolades of the WS clinic he provided, but average Joe fan doesn't realize tht Brooks did this day in day out during the regular season.  To this day Robinson is one of my favorite non-Astros ever. 

Heck I understand that he even turned some switch hitters around during the day, because they knew that anything on the ground on the left side, (including Belanger) would be sccoped for an out.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2023, 04:00:48 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zP3EXAbsE

Another fine accomplishment by my favorite athlete.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2023, 04:05:25 pm »

Always fun to see someone hit for the cycle.

Meanwhile:

Acuña steals 60th base, eyes creating his own special club

DENVER -- Ronald Acuña Jr. moved a step away from history as he was serenaded with MVP chants while helping the Braves roll to a 14-4 win over the Rockies on Monday night at Coors Field.

Acuña hit his 29th homer in the fifth inning, stole his 60th base in the seventh and then increased his MLB-leading stolen-base total to 61 in the eighth inning. He now stands as one of four players to hit 20-plus homers and steal 60-plus bases in the same season.

[...]

With one more home run, Acuña will become the first player in AL/NL history to record 30 steals and 60 stolen bases in the same season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ronald-acuna-jr-historic-homer-stolen-base-season
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2023, 10:14:04 pm »
YIKES!!

Josh Donaldson cut by the Yankees this afternoon. 

Hard to explain his implosion at age 37...given the advances made in training, etc.. Has to be physical, because if you can't get up playing for the Yankees, you're done!

Lucas Giolito, among 5 players put on waivers by the Angels... 

I'd look for some contending team to grab Giolito and convert him into a reliever that only needs to get through an order once.   :laugh: 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2023, 03:16:46 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zP3EXAbsE

Can we put the Brewers back in the AL now and bring the Strohs back home to the NL?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2023, 05:49:25 am »
Can we put the Brewers back in the AL now and bring the Strohs back home to the NL?

@Hoodat

Why?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2023, 02:57:33 am »
Because I believe in tradition.  I believe in the sanctity of the National League.  I believe in pitching inside when the batter crowds the place.  I believe that defense matters.  I believe in right fielders with cannon arms.  And I oppose the designated hitter with every fiber of my being.  The two leagues should never intermingle until the World Series.

The Astros were brought in as a NL team.  I grew up following the old NL West with the Astros, Reds, Braves, Dodgers, Padres, and Giants.  My Braves would finish 40 games out of first place, but Phil Niekro would lead the league in IP, Ks, CGs, and Shutouts.  I remember giants like J R Richard and Joaquin Andujar bringing respectability to Houston, battling the hated Reds and Dodgers.

The National League should not be a home for the old Seattle Pilots.  They are an AL spinoff, and should be returned pronto.

And besides, the American League is gay.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2023, 06:32:44 pm »
Can you really call it a club if you're the only guy in it?  :pondering:

What a day! Acuña gets married, then creates 30-60 club with grand slam
Slugger's historic night helps Braves hold on in opener vs. Dodgers
Mark Bowman

LOS ANGELES -- Ronald Acuña Jr. becoming the first member of the 30-60 club didn’t sneak up on anybody. But the Braves' superstar getting married the same day he realized this great achievement certainly did.

“I didn’t mention anything to anyone,”  Acuña said through an interpreter. “It was kind of like a surprise.”

[...]

Acuña’s second-inning grand slam made him the first player in AL/NL history to record 30-plus homers and 60-plus steals in a season, just two days after he stole two bases to join the 20-60 club.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ronald-acuna-jr-first-player-with-30-homers-60-steals

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2023, 07:00:05 pm »
Can you really call it a club if you're the only guy in it?  :pondering:

LOL!  Touche'!

The basic "club" was 30HR/30SB 

Then, some hyper-active guy stole 50 bases.

I think Ohtani could join the 30/60 club if he play a field position or chipping in in short relief.

He's too young to sit on the bench as a full time DH.  Would drive him insane. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2023, 07:10:41 pm »
LOL!  Touche'!

I think Ohtani could join the 30/60 club if he play a field position or chipping in in short relief.

Since the pitch clock is a boon to base stealers, should this record be given an asterisk? 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2023, 07:13:08 pm »
Since the pitch clock is a boon to base stealers, should this record be given an asterisk?

@catfish1957

LOL!  Great point!

Plus, they put on "King Kong" oven mitts!  And the bases are BIGGER! 

Definitely, an asterisk!    :beer:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2023, 07:13:52 pm »
LOL!  Touche'!

I bet Rickey Henderson is sleeping better these days.  It doesn't look like anyone is going to get more than 130 SB this season.

I'm sure you're right about Ohtani.  Regardless of what happens with this latest UCL tear, maybe a 2nd Tommy John, etc., he's a guy that's going to be very valuable even if he never pitches another inning again.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2023, 07:33:56 pm »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2023, 12:30:59 pm »
Houston Astros' Jose Altuve is Only the Third Player Ever to Accomplish This Incredible Feat

Fan Nation by Brady Farkas 9/5/2023

Houston Astros' infielder Jose Altuve is just the third player to ever homer in each of the first three innings of a game.

Houston Astros second baseman has joined an extremely short list in baseball history on Tuesday night - and his game isn't even over yet.

Playing against the Texas Rangers in a critical battle with playoff implications, Altuve has homered in each of the first three innings.

Per Sarah Langs of MLB.com:

JOSE ALTUVE IS THE 3RD PLAYER TO HOMER IN EACH OF THE 1ST 3 INNINGS OF A GAME, JOINING:

8/7/16 Manny Machado

7/2/30 Carl Reynolds

Not only has Altuve homered three times on Tuesday, he also homered twice on Monday, giving five home runs in his last two games.

At the time of this posting, the Astros lead the Rangers 9-0 in the fourth. Houston came into the game tied with the Seattle Mariners for first place in the AL West, with Texas trailing both by one game.

Altuve has battled multiple injuries this year so he's only gotten 266 at-bats, but he's been highly productive as usual. The former MVP is hitting .323 with 15 homers, 39 RBI and 13 stolen bases. He's got a .976 on-base percentage.

One of the best players of the last decade, Altuve is a lifetime .308 hitter with 207 homers and 735 RBI. He's helped the Astros win World Series titles in both 2017 and 2022.

More: https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/history/houston-astros-jose-altuve-is-just-the-third-player-in-baseball-history-to-hit-a-home-run-in-each-of-the-first-three-innings

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2023, 12:52:12 pm »
Houston Astros' Jose Altuve is Only the Third Player Ever to Accomplish This Incredible Feat

Houston Astros' infielder Jose Altuve is just the third player to ever homer in each of the first three innings of a game.

Altuve has battled multiple injuries this year so he's only gotten 266 at-bats, but he's been highly productive as usual. The former MVP is hitting .323 with 15 homers, 39 RBI and 13 stolen bases. He's got a .976 on-base percentage.

One of the best players of the last decade, Altuve is a lifetime .308 hitter with 207 homers and 735 RBI. He's helped the Astros win World Series titles in both 2017 and 2022.

More: https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/history/houston-astros-jose-altuve-is-just-the-third-player-in-baseball-history-to-hit-a-home-run-in-each-of-the-first-three-innings

@Elderberry

He should be subject to a strip search including an anal exam before each AB.

Probably has a WIFI buzzer up his ass.

Trash cans are so out-of-style these days.

But that said...geez, the ball must look like a beach ball.  I noticed about a month ago how he was barreling up on everything that was a strike.

What the mystery/question here should be is:  Why are they still pitching to him? 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 12:53:45 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2023, 03:33:49 pm »

@Elderberry

Great, but let's include a visual to catch the excitement of the feat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEx1q6gfa14

It's especially sweet because we get to watch the low-IQ accusers go crazy. That's always fun!  :yowsa:

What a fun time to be an Astros fan. Whupping up on the Rangers after being swept at home by the lowly Stankees. Just when you think about writing them off...  :shrug:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2023, 06:55:21 pm »
Jose Altuve is 100% ball player and would have done well in any era. There are damned few like him in the game today.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2023, 07:37:16 pm »
Jose Altuve is 100% ball player and would have done well in any era. There are damned few like him in the game today.

@Bigun  @AllThatJazzZ  @Polly Ticks  @Elderberry  @catfish1957

He's a cheating snake...in the same league as Jose Molina. {cheating-wise}   :laugh:

But Earl...I'd like to present another theory to you.

Watching any night's "QUICK-PITCH" on MLB channel...it 'screams' JUICED BALL!!

Never have I seen so many end-of-the-bat contact making it into the opposite field seats...I call bullsh*t.
WAAAAYYYY too balls are leaving the yard.

And then today on the ESPN site, they call the 2023 season the most exciting ever!   :shrug:

One last thing.

There is NOTHING great about seeing a pitch going over the fence/wall...show us the entire AB.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2023, 07:42:53 pm »

And then today on the ESPN site, they call the 2023 season the most exciting ever!   :shrug:

One last thing.

There is NOTHING great about seeing a pitch going over the fence/wall...show us the entire AB.

Our cable company is currently feuding with Disney/ESPN over fees to carry their content, so we are blacked out of pretty much everything. 
 9999hair out0000

And yes, I totally agree ... I love watching an entire AB and seeing how it was all put together.

:beer:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2023, 09:10:21 pm »
Altuve hit 3 homers before the Ranger's number 7, 8, and 9 batters even got a turn at the plate.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2023, 09:34:09 pm »
@Bigun  @AllThatJazzZ  @Polly Ticks  @Elderberry  @catfish1957

He's a cheating snake...in the same league as Jose Molina. {cheating-wise}   :laugh:

Yeah! Right! Like NO ONE has ever stolen a sign before! (Everybody was doing it, but the Astros got outed because THEY don't play for Northeastern owners!)

But Earl...I'd like to present another theory to you.

Watching any night's "QUICK-PITCH" on MLB channel...it 'screams' JUICED BALL!!

Never have I seen so many end-of-the-bat contact making it into the opposite field seats...I call bullsh*t.
WAAAAYYYY too balls are leaving the yard.

One last thing.

I agree with all that @DCPatriot the game I loved has been destroyed. Guys who can't hit their weight are everyday leadoff hitters and the PTB are doing everything they can to put pitchers in an even deeper hole.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien