Author Topic: What are PFAS, and why is the EPA warning about them in drinking water? An environmental health scie  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

What are PFAS, and why is the EPA warning about them in drinking water? An environmental health scientist explains
Published: June 21, 2022 7.50am EDT Updated: July 8, 2022 12.48pm EDT
Author
Kathryn Crawford
Assistant Professor of Environmental Health, Middlebury

You’ve probably been hearing the term PFAS in the news lately as states and the U.S. government consider rules and guidelines for managing these “forever chemicals.”

Even if the term is new to you, chances are good that you’re familiar with what PFAS do. That’s because they’re found in everything from nonstick cookware to carpets to ski wax.

PFAS stands for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, which are a large group of human-made chemicals – currently estimated to be around 9,000 individual chemical compounds – that are used widely in consumer products and industry. They can make products resistant to water, grease and stains and protect against fire.

Waterproof outdoor apparel and cosmetics, stain-resistant upholstery and carpets, food packaging that is designed to prevent liquid or grease from leaking through, and certain firefighting equipment often contain PFAS. In fact, one recent study found that most products labeled stain- or water-resistant contained PFAS, and another study found that this is even true among products labeled as “nontoxic” or “green.” PFAS are also found in unexpected places like high-performance ski and snowboard waxes, floor waxes and medical devices.

https://theconversation.com/what-are-pfas-and-why-is-the-epa-warning-about-them-in-drinking-water-an-environmental-health-scientist-explains-185015
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Before I retired, I remember reviewing the intital tox studies with corporate, and found out my fire fighting staff had 20 drums of this concentrate (PFOS) in some of the fire fighting foam we were using.   Due to "inertness" and difficulty of bring 6-"9"'s into the incineration factors. (Destruction efficienty 99.9999%).

This was one tough material to dispose of.  These 20 drums cost us $100K to get rid of. 

Though totally different than PCB's, that same quality of inertness also is its downfall, when there are toxicological hazards. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 03:19:36 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.