Author Topic: The A-10 ‘Warthog’ Starts Its Long Goodbye  (Read 226 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The A-10 ‘Warthog’ Starts Its Long Goodbye
« on: March 10, 2023, 04:48:58 pm »
The A-10 ‘Warthog’ Starts Its Long Goodbye
The popular warplane could be completely retired from service by 2029.

BY KYLE MIZOKAMIPUBLISHED: MAR 9, 2023

The U.S. Air Force is beginning to retire its remaining force of A-10 Thunderbolt II close air support attack jets.

The aircraft has been saved from the chopping block numerous times by a loyal, and politically powerful, fan base.

The aircraft is not survivable above the high intensity battlefields it was designed to fight over, and the war in Ukraine is making that crystal clear.

The U.S. Air Force is retiring 21 A-10 Thunderbolt II attack jets this year, and the current Chief of Staff of the Air Force thinks the plane will be entirely gone before the end of the decade.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a43264454/air-force-will-retire-a-10-warthog/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: The A-10 ‘Warthog’ Starts Its Long Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 05:16:27 pm »
The aircraft is not survivable above the high intensity battlefields it was designed to fight over, and the war in Ukraine is making that crystal clear.

I challenge that claim!

The USAF is making a terrible mistake and should be building more.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:49:10 pm »
I challenge that claim!

The USAF is making a terrible mistake and should be building more.
Precisely! The aircraft was designed to take damage and still get home, with the pilot intact. Not since the P-47 and the Ilyushin Il-2 has a plane been designed with that in mind, for ground attack and close air support. (Yes @sneakypete , I may be shorting the 'Spad' a little)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 12:08:38 am »
Hell, if they don't want 'em, I'll buy one.

Rotary cannons are fun, but I'll bet they're even more fun when you're riding one.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn