Author Topic: Veterans Stadium's Artifical Turf Had Cancerous PFAS, New Report Finds  (Read 277 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
PHILADELPHIA, PA — At a time when cigarette smoke clouded press boxes and club boxes, the Broad Street Bullies played next door, and powder blues were donned by the Phils unironically, one of the most notorious ballparks in the world was in south Philadelphia. It was a different age indeed, but for more than the cigar chomping fanatics in Rose and Schmidt jerseys, holding golf pencils and scorecards as they prowled above the bowels of a stadium so violent and anarchic it had its own court and its own prison.

Veterans Stadium, for all its grit and guts and glory, harbored a dark secret: chemicals in the artificial turf, the AstroTurf once proclaimed as a futuristic technological wonder, known to cause cancer and other deletrious effects. And not just any chemicals, but the "forever" chemicals called per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances, also known collectively as PFAS, already infamous in the Philadelphia area and sparking scandal in communities around the country.

That's according to a new investigative report from the Inquirer, run by reporters who purchased souvenir samples of the old Vet turf online and commissioned diagnostics through a local Eurofins Environmental Testing laboratory.

It's the first study of its kind definitively linking PFAS to the Vet's playing surface, which has already been under scrutiny and faded from style for a generation due to the number of joint injuries it caused players.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/norristown/veterans-stadiums-artifical-turf-had-cancerous-pfas-new-report-finds
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
These are the names of those who died

Six former Phillies who played at the Vet, which was the home of both the Phillies and the Eagles from 1971 to 2003, have all died from glioblastoma, a form of aggressive brain cancer. The names are so familiar to those of that broken golden age of Philadelphia baseball: Darren Daulton, David West, John Vukovich, John Oates, Ken Brett, and Tug McGraw.

My family got a Tug MGraw autograph from him years ago. He was a very nice man. May he and the others, rest in peace,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
PFAS,  PFOS, etc, is a substance that based on data, can be harmful.  I liken it to what we dealt with with PCB's back in the '60's and '70's.

It is a substance that needs to be handled carefully so that it doesn't within manufacturing processes  get into (especially) water vectors, and digestive consumption.  Or uncured product that may present an inhalation hazard.

OTOH, this is about as inert of material that can be made.  Unless the ballplayers were wallowing a newly manufcactured astroturf that had not cured, I am guessing that toxilogical effects would be pretty mininmal. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.