Author Topic: This is why you don’t hear about the hole in the ozone layer anymore — and here’s the lesson for us  (Read 240 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This is why you don’t hear about the hole in the ozone layer anymore — and here’s the lesson for us today
Story by Ben Stern • 10h ago

When’s the last time you heard about the ozone layer? Or about the hole in the ozone layer? For most people, it’s been years or even decades since the topic has crossed their minds.

And there’s a good reason for that — it’s because human cooperation and swift policy change were extremely effective in fixing the problem.

The ozone is an invisible layer of gas in our atmosphere that protects us from damaging, cancer-causing radiation given off by the sun, basically acting as the Earth’s sunscreen. Without it, life on Earth would be extremely vulnerable. So in the 1980s, when it was discovered that a hole was forming in the ozone layer, it was a big deal.

The hole was forming because people across the world were using man-made chemicals that ate away at this natural barrier, primarily chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). CFCs were mostly used for refrigeration and in aerosol sprays. But as the hole in the ozone layer grew, so did many people’s concern over it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/this-is-why-you-don-t-hear-about-the-hole-in-the-ozone-layer-anymore-and-here-s-the-lesson-for-us-today/ar-AA18s5R7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=eb74557aa60c4bb9a7405cd35d75725f&ei=33
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The 'hole' that never was. It had thinned, but my understanding is, that like so much in nature, the atmospheric concentration of ozone over the least populated continent on Earth varies over time. It goes up, it goes down, and opportunists catch the down trend and scream "The sky is falling".

When the natural cycle continues (and goes into an upswing) they take the credit (after messing with your life), and if it keeps going down, they claim "it would have been so much worse if we hadn't...".

It's some of the most pernicious bullshit on the planet, because it takes decades to disprove them, if that can even be done.

It's as if little Johnny in Hardscrabble, South Dakota is told "If you quit picking your nose...then fewer people will starve in Africa." If fewer, indeed do starve, then some one can say "See? I told you so!" If more starve, "Well, consider how much worse it would have been..."

Nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:34:40 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The 'hole' that never was. It had thinned, but my understanding is, that like so much in nature, the atmospheric concentration of ozone over the least populated continent on Earth varies over time. It goes up, it goes down, and opportunists catch the down trend and scream "The sky is falling".

When the natural cycle continues (and goes into an upswing) they take the credit (after messing with your life), and if it keeps going down, they claim "it would have been so much worse if we hadn't...".

It's some of the most pernicious bullshit on the planet, because it takes decades to disprove them, if that can even be done.

It's as if little Johnny in Hardscrabble, South Dakota is told "If you quit picking your nose...then fewer people will starve in Africa." If fewer, indeed do starve, then some one can say "See? I told you so!" If more starve, "Well, consider how much worse it would have been..."

Nonsense.

And the DuPont family got even richer.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And the DuPont family got even richer.
Before the ban, a tank of R-12 was $99.00.
Two weeks later, when the ban had gone into effect, you could still get one, for $999.00.

I knew that was going to happen, should have bought half a dozen and scalped them to mechanics for half price...

But for a bit, the most lucrative smuggling conducted at our Southern border was Freon, not drugs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis