Author Topic: THE F-35 IS GETTING A $15 BILLION UPGRADE THAT’LL MAKE IT A WHOLE NEW BEAST  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE F-35 IS GETTING A $15 BILLION UPGRADE THAT’LL MAKE IT A WHOLE NEW BEAST
Alex Hollings | March 8, 2023

Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II, also commonly known as the Joint Strike Fighter, is about to undergo a largely classified upgrade that promises to turn the technologically advanced aircraft into a far more capable fighter. New improvements include 17 new weapon systems, powerful new radar, expanded electronic warfare capabilities, powerful propulsion upgrades, and more — much of which remains tucked nearly behind a veil of vast quantities of classified funding.

Throughout its service life, the F-35 has been plagued by technical setbacks and cost overruns so egregious that they often overshadow the platform itself, which has been touted by pilots and Defense officials alike as a revolution in tactical airpower. Now, with this new slew of enhancements cruising toward service, the F-35 program may finally produce a data-fusing aerial powerhouse that silences the platform’s most vocal critics… that is, if everything goes according to plan.

The F-35 program, now more than two decades old, has long been viewed through two very disparate lenses. For some, the boondoggle that has been the F-35’s acquisition process has come to define the aircraft itself, with repeated technical setbacks, budgetary overruns, and the immense costs associated with F-35 sustainment overshadowing any capability the aircraft might bring to the fight.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/the-f-35-is-getting-a-15-billion-upgrade-thatll-make-it-a-whole-new-beast/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Based on its past record, this upgrade will make it the most expensive fighter to never live up to its potential. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson