Author Topic: Eric Adams surrenders to the border crisis and gives up on New York's 'sanctuary city' title  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Eric Adams surrenders to the border crisis and gives up on New York's 'sanctuary city' title
Opinion by Zachary Faria • Wednesday

It has been just seven months since Republican governors at the border put New York City’s commitment to being a “sanctuary city” for illegal immigrants to the test. Already, the Big Apple has now conceded defeat.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams, a Democrat, announced that the city will be relocating illegal immigrants across the country after months of complaints that the city’s resources were being strained. The policy briefing that details Adams’s plan claims that “as of March 2023, there were 79,937 people in shelter placement in New York City. … This is due in large part to the influx of newcomers. Our shelter system is full, and we are running out of funds, staff, and space.”

Therefore, New York City will now start busing illegal immigrants to other areas of the country. It’s a far cry from Adams’s sanctimonious campaign statements. According to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and other left-wing activists, it may even be “trafficking.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/eric-adams-surrenders-to-the-border-crisis-and-gives-up-on-new-york-s-sanctuary-city-title/ar-AA18o2oQ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=91dd77e122e24f7fb317a27710778864&ei=49
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BellyAche

Parts of the Washington Examiner article:

"As of March 2023, there were 79,937 people in shelter placement in New York City (including humanitarian relief centers) — a 77% increase since the start of the Adams administration on January 1st, 2022. This is due in large part to the influx of newcomers. Our shelter system is full, and we are running out of funds, staff, and space," the policy brief reads.

"The city is also in the early stage of being able to assist asylum seekers in relocating to their preferred city of choice. Ultimately, New York City isn’t equipped to meet the complex needs of asylum seekers given their current rapid rate of arrival," the policy brief says.

“There are cities in the state and across the country that … want to play the role,” he continued. “They realize that this is a national problem.”

“Please don’t ask me which cities because I don’t need you running to the cities and stopping them,” he said. “I know you enjoy pitting cities against cities, so we are not giving you that information.”

Politico article on the subject: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/07/eric-adams-plans-to-resettle-asylum-seekers-across-u-s-00085858
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That was quick.
The Republic is lost.