Author Topic: High Seas Treaty exempts deep-sea mining from stricter environmental rules  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
High Seas Treaty exempts deep-sea mining from stricter environmental rules
Published on 08/03/2023, 5:02pm

Despite the setback campaigners hope countries will be emboldened to protect marine ecosystems as they negotiate seabed mining rules

By Matteo Civillini

Deep-sea mining will be exempted from environmental impact assessment (EIA) measures established under a landmark international oceans treaty, a move campaigners fear could undermine protection for the seabed.

The High Seas Treaty is the first international agreement to protect oceans that lie outside of national boundaries. It creates a legal mechanism for the future designation of marine protected areas and sets outs new funding provisions for marine conservation.

The deal, struck on 4 March after almost two decades of negotiations, was hailed as an “historic day for conservation” and one of the most significant ocean governance developments in the past 40 years.

However, it does not apply directly to activities already regulated by existing bodies.

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2023/03/08/high-seas-treaty-exempts-deep-sea-mining-from-stricter-environmental-rules/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson