Author Topic: Yellen warns climate change could trigger asset value losses, harming US economy  (Read 394 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Yellen warns climate change could trigger asset value losses, harming US economy
By Andrea Shalal
 REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON, March 7 (Reuters) - Climate change is already having a major economic and financial impact on the United States and may trigger asset value losses in coming years that could cascade through the U.S. financial system, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen will warn on Tuesday.

Yellen will tell a new advisory board of academics, private sector experts and non-profits there has been a five-fold increase in the annual number of billion-dollar disasters over the past five years, compared to the 1980s, even after taking into account inflation.

"As climate change intensifies, natural disasters and warming temperatures can lead to declines in asset values that could cascade through the financial system. And a delayed and disorderly transition to a net-zero economy can lead to shocks to the financial system as well," she said in remarks prepared for delivery at the advisory board's first meeting.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/yellen-warns-climate-change-could-trigger-asset-value-losses-harming-us-economy-2023-03-07/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"Yellen warns climate change could trigger asset value losses, harming US economy"

Title corrected for accuracy:
"Yellen warns climate change laws and activism could trigger asset value losses, harming US economy"

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Is there anything she is not an expert on?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Dammit! I got the house paid for and now these idiots want another Ice Age.

That'll wreck my property values. 9999hair out0000
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This ain't gaslighting.....

This is gas thermonuclear illumintation.

I've seen several soundbites of her inteviews around the mass obfusication of explaining (justifying) Pedo Joe's economic suicide polices.
I've got to give her +10 actress points for keeping her shit together and not busting out laughing at this farce time after time.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Look, stupid lady. I live in North Dakota.

In a nutshell, warm is good.

Cold kills.

If you idiots go screwing with the atmosphere and bring on the next Ice Age, MY property values go to zero, and you dipsticks will have a long walk to the beach (because sea level will go down) over a lot of smelly dead seaweed...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis