Author Topic: DeSantis Disavows Bill That Would Require Political Bloggers To Register With the Government  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ron DeSantis Disavows Bill That Would Require Political Bloggers To Register With the Government

State legislators "have independent agency to do things. I don't control every single bill that has been filed," said DeSantis on Tuesday.

EMMA CAMP

A recent bill filed in the Florida Senate has been receiving a torrent of backlash—including from Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who the bill is supposedly meant to protect.

SB 1316, introduced last week by Rep. Jason Brodeur (R-10), would require any "blogger" who makes money off posts related to the state's governor, lieutenant governor, cabinet officers, or members of the state legislature to file monthly reports with the state. The bill says these reports must include how much the blogger made, who paid them, and when and where the post was published. Failure to comply with the law would result in up to a $2,500 fine.

"Every person in the legislature can file bills, right?" said DeSantis during a Tuesday press conference. "I see these people filing bills and there's articles with my face on the article saying that 'oh, bloggers are going to have to register [with] the state,' and it's attributing it to me. And I'm like, okay, that's not anything I've ever supported, I don't support [it]."

On Tuesday DeSantis firmly put rumors about the bill to rest, saying during a press conference that he's never supported the bill and that state legislators "have independent agency to do things. I don't control every single bill that has been filed."

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/03/08/ron-desantis-disavows-bill-that-would-require-political-bloggers-to-register-with-the-government/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The press was trying to make DeSantis look Trumpian, and he flipped it on them to come out with a win.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

The press was trying to make DeSantis look Trumpian, and he flipped it on them to come out with a win.

:thumbsup: