Author Topic: NYC spends nearly $370 daily on each asylum seeker household. The sum could top $1.4B this fiscal ye  (Read 156 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC spends nearly $370 daily on each asylum seeker household. The sum could top $1.4B this fiscal year.

By
Arya Sundaram
Published Mar 7, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.

Modified Mar 7, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.

New York City on average spends about $363 a day on each asylum seeker household receiving services in city shelters and emergency relief centers and is on track to spend a total of $1.4 billion by the end of the fiscal year in June, Office of Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol said during a recent City Council hearing.

The cost for the “asylum seeker crisis” could double to $2.8 billion in the next fiscal year, Iscol told the panel during a hearing last week. He said the city cannot maintain that support.

“The city is at the end of its resources. This is not sustainable,” Iscol said. “It's why we have asked the state, it's why we've asked the federal government for support.”

The comments came in an oversight hearing where administration officials heard councilmembers’ complaints about spotty care provided to migrants and also addressed the cost of services.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-spends-nearly-370-daily-on-each-asylum-seeker-here-the-total-could-top-14b-this-fiscal-year
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Gosh, how sustainable do you think it is for the Southwest states to deal with millions per year?
The Republic is lost.