Author Topic: US intelligence suggests pro-Ukrainian group sabotaged Nord Stream pipelines -NYT  (Read 304 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - New intelligence reviewed by U.S. officials suggests that a pro-Ukrainian group carried out the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines last year, the New York Times reported on Tuesday.

There was no evidence that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy or his top lieutenants were involved in the operation, or that the perpetrators were acting at the direction of any Ukrainian government officials, the newspaper reported, citing U.S. officials.

Reuters could not independently verify the report, and U.S. officials could not be immediately reached for comment. Representatives for Kyiv and Moscow also could not be immediately reached.

The United States and NATO have called the September 2022 attacks on the gas pipelines "an act of sabotage," while Moscow has blamed the West and has called on the United Nations Security Council to independently investigate. Neither side has provided evidence.

The intelligence review suggests the who carried out the attacks opposed Russian President Vladimir Putin "but does not specify the members of the group, or who directed or paid for the operation," the Times wrote. "U.S. officials declined to disclose the nature of the intelligence, how it was obtained or any details of the strength of the evidence it contains. They have said that there are no firm conclusions about it."

https://news.yahoo.com/us-intelligence-suggests-pro-ukrainian-160118400.html

This makes total sense to me.

The problem with assigning blame to a nation state (such as the U.S.) is that the risk/rewards don't add up.  Get caught, and you've lost much more than you gained.

But a private group makes a lot more sense.  You can keep it much quieter because you don't have to work through a government, and all it would really take is some people with a motive, and a lot of money.   Buy a small submersible, hire guys with the skills, and you could do it.

My guess is that our intelligence people have figured out who did it.   My best guess would be some former Spec Ops types a pro-Ukraine country.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:33:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

https://news.yahoo.com/us-intelligence-suggests-pro-ukrainian-160118400.html

This makes total sense to me.

The problem with assigning blame to a nation state (such as the U.S.) is that the risk/rewards don't add up.  Get caught, and you've lost much more than you gained.

But a private group makes a lot more sense.  You can keep it much quieter because you don't have to work through a government, and all it would really take is some people with a motive, and a lot of money.   Buy a small submersible, hire guys with the skills, and you could do it.

My guess is that our intelligence people have figured out who did it.   My best guess would be some former Spec Ops types a pro-Ukraine country.

Sounds reasonable.