Author Topic: Need Help With Admin Password  (Read 3971 times)

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Need Help With Admin Password
« on: March 07, 2023, 03:54:01 pm »
My son gave me an ASSUS gaming laptop a while back and I updated it from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and since then it won't accept my sons pin code so now we can't add any new software. My son tried the Microsoft recovery site and no joy, also it looks for an old email address that doesn't exist because the  company he worked for and got the computer from EyeFi no longer exists. Any ideas short of a wipe and reinstall?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Need Help With Admin Password
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 06:15:28 pm »
Paging @roamer_1
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 06:46:50 pm »
In addition to your son's pin code, he will also have a separate password for his account. Has that been tried? Did you run from his account when you upgraded to Win10 or did you use the admin account and password?

Online GtHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 09:43:37 pm »
In addition to your son's pin code, he will also have a separate password for his account. Has that been tried? Did you run from his account when you upgraded to Win10 or did you use the admin account and password?
I ran the upgrade from his account, i had no issues with Admin when using his pin code, as to password he can't recall. His boss told him to take the computer when EyeFi laid him off in 2015 and the company went completely out of business in 2016 so that ave is closed. I thought I once read that there are programs to access the Admin password because this situation apparently is a frequent issue with yard sale computer purchases.  I was just hoping that a member with more computer savvy than me(most everyone) would have an idea. 

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 09:56:31 pm »
@roamer_1 is your best bet.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 10:04:30 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 11:01:29 pm »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 11:19:35 pm »
Try logging into the BIOS.  Not sure if they still do it this way, but the default Administrator account came without a password.  If you can log into the BIOS setup as 'Administrator', you can reset other users' passwords.

On startup, continuously hit the F2/F4/F8/F11/F12 (depending on model) key to bypass the normal start.  And go from there.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 11:38:33 pm »
I don't know how it's done in Windows, but on the Mac side of things, when a company provides a computer to an employee, the IT department will usually put some kind of proprietary software on it (on the Mac side it's called "MDM") that can over-ride the employee's attempts to "wipe it clean". This is in the firmware, not "on the hard drive", so it can't be "removed" by changing drives.

The only way to "get full control back" is to have the MDM software removed, almost always by the IT department that installed it. There are ways around this, but they're tricky and not approved by Apple. Generally, Apple will refuse to remove such software unless the owner can provide proof of initial ownership (sales receipt, etc.).

I'll guess that almost certainly there is similar software on the PC/Windows side of things.

I'll also guess that there are more tricks and workarounds to overcome it on the PC side, too. But although I could solve almost any problem a Mac user here has, I know nothing of PC's.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 02:50:37 pm »
Sorry I missed you all, and I'm sorry I dropped the ball. I've been in the hospital since Saturday, and all I've got right now is a crappy little tablet and my phone to reply from

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 02:56:04 pm »
Sorry I missed you all, and I'm sorry I dropped the ball. I've been in the hospital since Saturday, and all I've got right now is a crappy little tablet and my phone to reply from

OMG...I hope it's not serious... :0001:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 04:02:57 pm »
OMG...I hope it's not serious... :0001:

Emergency hernia... turned into kidney, bladder, prostate.... and turning the corner toward coronary failure....

So having a great time...  happy77

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 04:23:18 pm »
Emergency hernia... turned into kidney, bladder, prostate.... and turning the corner toward coronary failure....

Geez! Take care of yourself my friend!  Prayers!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 04:23:42 pm »

9999what
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 04:58:49 pm »

Sheesh, hang in there... :getwell:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline berdie

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2023, 05:08:02 pm »

Oh dear ! Praying for ya. Hang in there.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 06:49:15 pm »

Prayers up for all that to be resolved in short order.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online GtHawk

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 06:56:54 pm »
@roamer_1
I think the important thing here is are you OK? Nothing else is really important.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 06:57:59 pm by GtHawk »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 08:47:28 pm »

Geez, @roamer_1    **nononono*

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 09:09:09 pm »

Praying for you, bro. 

Heal up!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023, 09:55:02 pm »

@roamer_1

This is YOU,all at one time??????

FWIW,you have my best wishes for good doctors and a speedy recovery.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 10:42:42 pm »

Oh my gosh @roamer_1

Take care and prayers
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 10:45:42 pm »
 99balloon
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 11:50:36 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Idiot

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 11:12:45 pm »

Prayers up for you @roamer_1  !  May you have a speedy recovery.  I don't think you'll be in the hospital long as they'll likely kick you out soon.   :laugh:

God bless you buddy!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2023, 11:54:53 pm »
@roamer_1

Y-HW-H is in the restoration business.  Prayers up, my brother.  Your dogs need you.  And Jesus loves dogs.  Do the math.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-