Author Topic: Never Ron Republicans? Trump camp linking Reagan and DeSantis could backfire  (Read 596 times)

Offline corbe

Never Ron Republicans? Trump camp linking Reagan and DeSantis could backfire

by W. James Antle III, Politics Editor
March 07, 2023 06:10 AM

Former President Donald Trump has been taking preemptive shots against Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL), comparing his most formidable 2024 primary foe to Republican leaders distrusted by the conservative base.

The beleaguered establishment figures with whom DeSantis has been linked include former House Speaker Paul Ryan, the Bush family, and Karl Rove.

Attacks on one pre-Trump Republican leader may still be a bridge too far for conservative true believers: Ronald Reagan.

Republican operatives and conservative activists told the Washington Examiner it would be a mistake for the Trump campaign to keep up the Reagan-DeSantis comparisons.

“This is an endorsement, not an attack,” one Republican campaign professional said.

In a preview of Trump’s case against the Florida governor ahead of an expected GOP clash of the titans, Axios quoted a “Trump confidant” taking a shot at DeSantis’s populist bona fides by pointing to his Reaganite record.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/trump-linking-reagan-desantis-backfire
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Well, the one substantive area in which Trump and Reagan are light-years apart is foreign policy.  The "America First" label that Trump's supporters use is basically just re-labeled isolationism.

Reagan's the guy who "interfered in Russia's business" with "Tear down this wall!".  And from the contras to the mujahedeen, he believed totally in arming those who would oppose aggressors.  He's the guy who promised "No more Taiwans."  Right or wrong, he'd be arming the snot out of the Ukrainians.

Policy-wise, that's the biggest difference I see.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:14:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

Well, the one substantive area in which Trump and Reagan are light-years apart is foreign policy.  The "America First" label that Trump's supporters use is basically just re-labeled isolationism.

Reagan's the guy who "interfered in Russia's business" with "Tear down this wall!".  And from the contras to the mujahedeen, he believed totally in arming those who would oppose aggressors.  He's the guy who promised "No more Taiwans."  Right or wrong, he'd be arming the snot out of the Ukrainians.

Policy-wise, that's the biggest difference I see.

:thumbsup:

Offline Kamaji

So now Trump is disavowing Reagan?

Offline LMAO

Trump populists are not necessarily opposed to a large, federal government. They just want to be in charge of it.

Trump was right on many things. Energy development and enforced border were two examples.
But he was very wrong on government spending and borrowing. Our energy independence and secure border are gone with him. What has stayed behind is the borrowing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I'm not sure how many are that blatant about it, but I've read lots of Trump's supporters who say that "small government conservatism" is dead, and advocate isolationist policies.   Both of those are anti-Reagan.

Obviously, not every Trump supporters believes those same things, but it seems pretty common.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:07:27 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The "America First" label that Trump's supporters use is basically just re-labeled isolationism.

Nonsense.  The Trump Doctrine *is* America First, not isolationism. 

Engage with the world economically to promote and protect our economic dominance and security,. Engage with the world militarily when it promotes and protects OUR national security.  When action meets OUR criteria, take it with swift precision and end it.  No lingering.  No nation building.  No playing perpetual mall cop. No open US checkbook.

Trump understands how to be a true super power. 

@Maj. Bill Martin

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:01:30 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

I'm not sure how many are that blatant about it, but I've read lots of Trump's supporters who say that "small government conservatism" is dead, and advocate isolationist policies.   Both of those are anti-Reagan.

Obviously, not every Trump supporters believes those same things, but it seems pretty common.

Back in 2016, there were a few of his supporters on TOS who also proclaimed the free market doesn’t work

As far as isolationism, I don’t believe Trump is an isolationist. But it isn’t isolationism to question all this money going to Ukraine. And more and more Americans are also starting to question it

I’m not opposed to helping Ukraine in their fight. But it seems we have all this money to protect their border but not a penny for ours
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Back in 2016, there were a few of his supporters on TOS who also proclaimed the free market doesn’t work

As far as isolationism, I don’t believe Trump is an isolationist. But it isn’t isolationism to question all this money going to Ukraine. And more and more Americans are also starting to question it.

Trump isn't just questioning it, though.  He's promised to end the war in 24 hours, which obviously means simply cutting Ukraine off immediately from any more support.

I’m not opposed to helping Ukraine in their fight. But it seems we have all this money to protect their border but not a penny for ours

First, we have plenty of money to protect our border.  But the current Administration is philosophically opposed to protecting the border, and that's the real reason the border isn't secure - it has nothing to do with Ukraine.  In 2020, Congress appropriated money for border security in 2021 that Biden refused to spend, and ordered an immediate halt in construction.  That obviously happened long before there was a war in Ukraine.  So the whole argument of saying "I don't support funding Ukraine because we should be spending money on securing our own borders first" ignores the reality that the two issues are unrelated.  We can do one of them, both of them, or neither of them at the same time.   Spending money on Ukraine is not the reason we're not securing our border.

However, if people really do believe that argument, then that would apply to all foreign commitments.  We shouldn't spend a penny on defending the borders of any other nation until we secure our own, and since that isn't going to happen as long as Biden is President, that means we're washing our hands of everything overseas.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:51:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline berdie

Trump isn't just questioning it, though.  He's promised to end the war in 24 hours, which obviously means simply cutting Ukraine off immediately from any more support.

First, we have plenty of money to protect our border.  But the current Administration that is philosophically opposed to protecting the border, and that's the real problem that has nothing to do with Ukraine.  In 2020, Congress appropriated money for border security in 2021 that Biden refused to spend, and ordered an immediate halt in construction.  That obviously happened long before there was a war in Ukraine.  So the whole argument of saying "I don't support finding Ukraine because we should be spending money on securing our own borders first" ignores the reality that the two issues are unrelated.  We can do one of them, both of them, or neither of them at the same time.   Spending money on Ukraine is not the reason we're not securing our border.

However, if people really do believe that argument, then that would apply to all foreign commitments.  We shouldn't spend a penny on defending the borders of any other nation until we secure our own, and since that isn't going to happen as long as Biden is President, that means we're washing our hands of everything overseas.

If the debt was magically erased and the government was flush with cash...they still wouldn't secure the border. It's not about money.