Author Topic: California newlyweds ABANDONED during a snorkeling trip on their Hawaiian honeymoon forced to swim h  (Read 526 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Mail by Stephen M. Lepore 3/5/2023

California newlyweds ABANDONED during a snorkeling trip on their Hawaiian honeymoon forced to swim half a mile to shore and write 'SOS' in the sand: Tour company sued for $5M after miscounting boat passengers

•   Alexander Burckle and Elizabeth Webster booked the trip for September 2021

•   They were 'left behind by the company while snorkeling in choppy waters'

•   The California couple are suing for $5million claiming they feared they would drown on the half-mile swim to the nearest island of Lanai near Maui, Hawaii

A Hawaii tour company is being sued for $5million because a couple claims they were left marooned in the ocean during one of the company's snorkeling trips.

Alexander Burckle and Elizabeth Webster, from Oakland, California, booked the experience with Maui Sail Company for Lanai, a tiny island near Maui, in September of 2021 as a honeymoon.

They went on the 10am expedition from Lahaina Harbor in Maui with 42 other passengers - and were told that the boat would anchor for an hour while they swam into the ocean.

But they soon got caught up in turbulent, 'choppy' water' and were unable to make their way back to the boat - after 15 minutes of struggling against the waves. The boat then deserted them - and the pair were left to swim half a mile back to safety.

'They feared that drowning was imminent,' the couple claimed in their lawsuit against Maui Sail.

The couple desperately tried to stay afloat but their efforts led them into even deeper, more troubled waters.

All 44 passengers got in the water at around 10:50am and passengers returned to the boat at various times, the lawsuit said.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11824147/California-couple-abandoned-snorkeling-trip-forced-swim-shore-sue-tour-company.html

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Wait, they can frolic in the ocean for an hour, but they were afraid they couldn't stay afloat?

1/2 mile may seem like a lot, but it's really not...

They'll win...boat company didn't do it's job, but this drama BS is just that, drama.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline verga

Wait, they can frolic in the ocean for an hour, but they were afraid they couldn't stay afloat?

They'll win...boat company didn't do it's job, but this drama BS is just that, drama.
That is about 800 meters. Less than a normal Sprint Triathalon swim, but if you are not used to it and have already been swimming for an hour....
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It doesn't sound like they were frolicking.

The suit alleges that they were facing waves up to eight feet high and realized that swimming to the island of Lanai, which tour guides had advised against, was their only way to survive.

Offline Idiot

It doesn't sound like they were frolicking.
Sounds like their check for the excursion didn't clear. happy77

Offline LMAO

Ocean currents can make a half a mile swim seem like 5 miles
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline verga

:amen:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If you aren't swimming with those waves (surfing them), the internal currents in the waves and swimming against them is a workout, even at only 3 or 4 feet. At eight feet, that half mile is going to seem a lot farther. If they were snorkeling, swim fins should help.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

I spent my honeymoon on Lanai and the Big Island.  The ocean currents are no joke.  During my time there, another man on his honeymoon was swept out to sea from the north shore of Oahu.

I'm guessing in this case that the currents took them to Lanai, not away from it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-