Author Topic: E-bike battery sparks another huge NYC blaze, guts grocery store and injures 7  (Read 288 times)

Offline Kamaji

E-bike battery sparks another huge NYC blaze, guts grocery store and injures 7

By Tina Moore
March 5, 2023

An e-bike sparked a massive hours-long blaze that gutted a Bronx grocery store and injured seven people — two seriously — on Sunday, officials said.

An EMS worker and a civilian were seriously hurt when flames broke out around 10:40 a.m. at the Concourse Food Plaza at 2096 Grand Concourse in the West Bronx section, officials said. Five firefighters suffered minor injuries.

The quick-moving fire was blamed on a scooter’s lithium-ion battery and rose to five alarms, requiring over 50 units and more than 200 firefighters to douse it.

Mayor Adams went to the scene and used the incident to call attention to the batteries, which have sparked a slew of recent fires in the city, some of them fatal.

“We have witnessed this over and over again, and that is why we’re going to continue to amplify the message that a simple device like this, this charred scooter, is only a symbol of what is happening behind us and what has continued to take place since early this morning,” Adams said Sunday afternoon. “We’re still fighting the fire because of the type of device the fire started from.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/e-bike-battery-sparks-another-huge-nyc-blaze-guts-grocery-store-and-injures-7/

Offline Kamaji

The manufacturers of these things should remain liable for the damages their products are causing.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Kamaji

My local senior center is doing a fundraising raffle. One of the prizes is an electric bike.

Really beautiful bike. But none of the seniors want it if they win. They would rather bike the.”old fashioned” way plus we’re all wondering what happens to the bike if there is a blackout like in 2003?

The consensus is if someone wins the bike they’ll give it to a grandchild.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@Kamaji

My local senior center is doing a fundraising raffle. One of the prizes is an electric bike.

Really beautiful bike. But none of the seniors want it if they win. They would rather bike the.”old fashioned” way plus we’re all wondering what happens to the bike if there is a blackout like in 2003?

My grandson has an e-bike and if the battery dies he won't be stranded as you can still peddle it, take the battery off and you have an expensive peddle bike.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Kamaji

Those things are hideously expensive. Sell it at a slight markdown and buy ALL the grandkids conventional bikes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis