Author Topic: Professor urges bereavement leave for black educators to process racism trauma  (Read 245 times)

Offline Kamaji

Professor urges bereavement leave for black educators to process racism trauma

By Allie Griffin
March 5, 2023

A visiting professor at Southern Illinois University is advocating for universities to provide bereavement leave to allow black faculty time to grieve and process trauma following triggering racist news and experiences.

Angel Jones, a visiting assistant professor in the department of educational leadership at the college, questioned why black educators are expected to return to work and act like nothing is wrong after such events.

“I am a proud educator who loves what I do,” Jones wrote in a piece published by Times Higher Education. “But before that, I am a Black woman. A Black woman who is expected to return to ‘business as usual’ on Monday after seeing a member of my community murdered on Friday.”

The critical race theory scholar wrote about how she emailed her students in January following the fatal police beating of Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old black man, to check on them without allowing herself time to process the horrific news and trauma.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/illinois-professor-angel-jones-urges-bereavement-for-black-educators-to-process-racism-trauma/

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Wow.  Uber-snowflake.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
:facepalm2:

Wow.  Uber-snowflake.

I'll double that!

:facepalm2: :facepalm2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson