Author Topic: CPAC 2023 Was Not Well Attended - Here's Why Conservatives Are Leaving This Conference in the Dust  (Read 366 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CPAC 2023 Was Not Well Attended - Here's Why Conservatives Are Leaving This Conference in the Dust
By Jennifer Oliver O'Connell | 10:30 PM on March 05, 2023

I did not attend CPAC 2023 this year for various reasons, mostly time and cost. Compared to Florida, Washington D.C. is prohibitively expensive, with fewer food and lodging options. Also, after two years of a popular, and well-received (not to mention warmer) event, I wasn’t interested in wasting energy, money, and time dealing with the cold, crime-ridden, and freedom-restricted swamp that is D.C.

From attendee and news reports, my instincts were right, and apparently, others felt the same. The Washington Examiner unpacks the bad news for the Conservative Political Action Conference.

The Conservative Political Action Conference’s return to the nation’s capital has proved to be less than triumphant, with the mainstay political conference suffering from lower attendance and fewer high-profile sponsors.

The conference, once a mandatory stop for aspiring Republican presidential candidates, saw several notable Republicans such as former Vice President Mike Pence, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL), and numerous other governors skip the high-profile convention. Meanwhile, longtime attendees noted a sea-change in the number of attendees and sponsors.

more
https://redstate.com/jenniferoo/2023/03/05/cpac-2023-was-not-well-attended-heres-why-conservatives-are-leaving-this-conference-in-the-dust-n711930
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
CPAC 2023 Was Not Well Attended - Here's Why Conservatives Are Leaving This Conference in the Dust
By Jennifer Oliver O'Connell | 10:30 PM on March 05, 2023

I did not attend CPAC 2023 this year for various reasons, mostly time and cost. Compared to Florida, Washington D.C. is prohibitively expensive, with fewer food and lodging options. Also, after two years of a popular, and well-received (not to mention warmer) event, I wasn’t interested in wasting energy, money, and time dealing with the cold, crime-ridden, and freedom-restricted swamp that is D.C.

From attendee and news reports, my instincts were right, and apparently, others felt the same. The Washington Examiner unpacks the bad news for the Conservative Political Action Conference.

more
https://redstate.com/jenniferoo/2023/03/05/cpac-2023-was-not-well-attended-heres-why-conservatives-are-leaving-this-conference-in-the-dust-n711930

Not really a surprise.  CPAC went full Trump during his presidency, and so alternatives arose.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Perhaps it's because "conservatism" per se isn't going to defeat the leftist/communists.

Something else, something "more" is going to be necessary...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Perhaps it's because "conservatism" per se isn't going to defeat the leftist/communists.

Something else, something "more" is going to be necessary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6ngThqMEs
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not really a surprise.  CPAC went full Trump during his presidency, and so alternatives arose.

@Maj.Bill Martin

Is there ANYTHING that went wrong that is not Trumps fault?

He lives in your head 24/7,doesn't he?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj.Bill Martin

Is there ANYTHING that went wrong that is not Trumps fault?

He lives in your head 24/7,doesn't he?

This isn't actually a question of him being right or wrong, though.  It's just kind of a fact.  CPAC was pretty leery of Trump back in 2015, but then he became the nominee, then President.  The organization gradually shifted to align more with his views, just as they would with any Republican President.

In this very thread, Fishrrrman, one of the strongest Trump supporters here, expressly said that something "more" than conservativism was needed.  So quite naturally, something of a split has developed between Trump's "populist conservatism/MAGA, and more classic conservativism.   CPAC is basically Trump's now, so alternatives have arisen.

I'm a bit curious now, though.  It was my understanding that a lot of Trump supporters wanted something of a split - to defeat everyone in the GOP who isn't MAGA.  Is that wrong?