Author Topic: Idris Elba responds to criticism after not calling himself a ‘black actor’  (Read 217 times)

Offline Kamaji

Idris Elba responds to criticism after not calling himself a ‘black actor’

By Jack Hobbs
March 5, 2023

Idris Elba responded to backlash Friday after an interview with Esquire UK where Elba said that he had stopped describing himself as a “black actor” since it limited his career.

The “Cats” actor said it is “really difficult” for celebrities to have an opinion according to a new interview with The Guardian. Explaining that his words were “overly scrutinized, taken out of context” and “thrown into some sort of bulls–t, zeitgeisty social media argument.”

“Me saying I don’t like to call myself a Black actor is my prerogative. That’s me, not you,” said Elba, 50.”So for you to turn around and say to me, I’m ‘denying my Blackness.’ On what grounds? Did you hear that? Where am I denying it? And what for? It’s just stupid. Whatever.”

While speaking with Esquire, the “Luther” actor said “As humans, we are obsessed with race. And that obsession can really hinder people’s aspirations, hinder people’s growth.”

“Racism should be a topic for discussion, sure. Racism is very real. But from my perspective, it’s only as powerful as you allow it to be,” continued the actor. “I stopped describing myself as a Black actor when I realized it put me in a box. We’ve got to grow. We’ve got to. Our skin is no more than that: It’s just skin. Rant over.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/idris-elba-responds-to-criticism-after-not-calling-himself-a-black-actor/

Offline Kamaji

Somebody who "gets" it.  Wish there were more.