Author Topic: Ivy League University Ditches Standardized Testing, Will Judge an Applicant's 'Background' and 'Voic  (Read 788 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Standardized Testing, Will Judge an Applicant's 'Background' and 'Voice'
By Alex Parker | 9:30 AM on March 05, 2023

If you’ve lost sleep over whether you’ll get into Columbia University due to your test scores, rest easy — those no longer matter.

Online Wednesday, the school made a major announcement: It’s permanently dropping standardized testing requirements for undergraduates. Congradu-lations.

People are complex; a single factor can’t define them:

The holistic and contextual application review process for Columbia College and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science is rooted in the belief that students are dynamic, multi-faceted individuals who cannot be defined by any single factor.

Nuance is necessary. Maybe someone bombed their SAT, but they have a university-worthy identity:

Our review is purposeful and nuanced — respecting varied backgrounds, voices and experiences — in order to best determine an applicant’s suitability for admission and ability to thrive in our curriculum and our community, and to advance access to our educational opportunities.

Be your bold and beautiful self:

We have designed our application to afford the greatest possible opportunity and flexibility for students to represent themselves fully and showcase their academic talents, interests and goals. Standardized testing is not a required component of our application.

more
https://redstate.com/alexparker/2023/03/05/ivy-league-university-ditches-standardized-testing-will-judge-an-applicants-background-and-voice-n711687
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Instead of a degree upon graduation, Columbia will hand out Participation certificates.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline The_Reader_David

"Voice", eh?  Since ChatGPT can be instructed to write in different styles (I've had it write historical accounts in iambic pentameter, and in stereotypical pirate patois), that should be easy to fake.  You get a rough draft from ChatGPT that sounds like you grew up in the 'hood, then polish it a little both to make the faux African-American tone more realistic and to sound like you know something, and hey! presto! a winning Columbia admissions essay.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

In other words, they've read the tea-leaves in the Supreme Court and believe that racial discrimination in college admissions will be held to be flatly illegal, so they want to preserve the right to make "subjective" decisions based on fake personal characteristics, so that they can continue to discriminate on the basis of race.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ivy League University Ditches Standardized Testing, Will Judge an Applicant's 'Background' and 'Voice'
By Alex Parker | 9:30 AM on March 05, 2023

If you’ve lost sleep over whether you’ll get into Columbia University due to your test scores, rest easy — those no longer matter.

Online Wednesday, the school made a major announcement: It’s permanently dropping standardized testing requirements for undergraduates. Congradu-lations.

People are complex; a single factor can’t define them:

The holistic and contextual application review process for Columbia College and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science is rooted in the belief that students are dynamic, multi-faceted individuals who cannot be defined by any single factor.

Nuance is necessary. Maybe someone bombed their SAT, but they have a university-worthy identity:

https://redstate.com/alexparker/2023/03/05/ivy-league-university-ditches-standardized-testing-will-judge-an-applicants-background-and-voice-n711687
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I think the University of What's Happenin' Now is already doing that. :banghead:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Columbia Univ. should have been named Karl Marx U. There's a long history of idiocy there.

A lack of academic standards for engineering school could prove to be risky. Will they still hand out As to kids who can't add 2+2? That should make for some interesting new bridges, airplanes, and the like.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Then they should lose their accreditation and status as an elite higher education institution.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

It's just an excuse to allow them to continue to indulge themselves in racial discrimination, once the Supreme Court throws out academic affirmative action as unconstitutional.

Offline mountaineer

Lavern Spicer 🇺🇸
@lavern_spicer
No one is happier about “equity” in Medical School than malpractice lawyers.
11:19 AM · Mar 25, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org