Author Topic: Donald Trump: ‘We Are Never Going Back to the Party of Paul Ryan, Karl Rove, and Jeb Bush’  (Read 791 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Trump: ‘We Are Never Going Back to the Party of Paul Ryan, Karl Rove, and Jeb Bush’

Jordan Dixon-Hamilton 4 Mar 2023

Former President Donald Trump boldly proclaimed that the Republican Party is “never going back to the party of Paul Ryan, Karl Rove, and Jeb Bush” during his Saturday speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC).

Trump listed numerous “villains and scoundrels” from whom he hopes to liberate the United States, including globalists, communists, and the fake news media. Trump told the CPAC crowd:

With you at my side, we will demolish the deep state. We will expel the war mongers. They are people that don’t get it, although in some cases they get it, they get it for their wallets, but we can’t do that. We can’t let that happen. We will drive out the globalists, we will cast out the communisits. We will throw off the political class that hates our country. They actually hate our country.

No walls, no borders. Bad elections, no voter ID. We will beat the Democrats. We will route the fake news media, we will expose and appropriately deal with the RINOs. We will evict Joe Biden from the White House and we will liberate America from these villains and scoundrels once and for all.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/03/04/donald-trump-we-are-never-going-back-to-the-party-of-paul-ryan-karl-rove-and-jeb-bush/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

I would prefer they go back to the party of Barry Goldwater and Calvin Coolidge

With Trump leading in the polls among primary voters, there’s a danger that he and his supporters could end up pushing the other republican nominees to the left on spending just to try to appeal to Trump voters
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 02:34:53 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I would hope that other Republican candidates for the nomination don't purposefully alienate general election voters, including the Jeb Bushes of the GOP.  Given a choice, the Jeb Bush Republicans generally would rather vote for a small government conservative than for a second round of Biden.  Now granted, that doesn't really describe Trump, and most of them don't like Trump.  So at this point, he can't really alienate them further.  But those should be easily winnable votes for other GOP candidates as long as they don't deliberately alienate those voters.

The dynamics of the 1980 election are clearly in play here.  There was a very definite split in the GOP - and some bitterness - coming out of the 1976 primary between Reaganites and the moderate GOP old guard led by GHWB, and it carried over into the 1980 primaries.  There were significant differences in policies, messaging, etc., that are somewhat similar to the divisions in the GOP we see today.  But Reagan never went the "Us v. Them" route.  After winning the primaries, he brought them into the larger GOP tent without compromising on his own views.  And they were willing to support Reagan because even thought they didn't agree with him on every issue, they were much closer to him than to Carter and the Democrats overall.

The fact that those moderate Republicans were willing to support Reagan in 1980 wasn't evidence that Reagan compromised/was compromised.  It was evidence that the Bush wing compromised.  And that's exactly what would be happening if the (Jeb) Bush wing lined up behind conservative alternatives to Trump.  It doesn't mean those candidates -- Pompeo, DeSantis, or whomever -- are compromised.  It would mean that the Jeb Bushes have compromised.

You win elections by winning more votes in enough states than your election opponent.  A juvenile "us v. them" mentality that makes an enemy out of everyone who doesn't line up with you on every issue is simply foolish, and self-defeating.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 04:21:23 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In 1980, Reagan sowed the seeds for today's MAGA/America First Movement.  Those seeds laid dormant --- nearly destroyed by some foolish gospel that "conservatism" had won the day --- until 2015 when Donald Trump breathed life back into Reagan's vision for America.

"We had a Republican Party that was ruled by freaks, neo-cons, globalists, open borders zealots and fools. But we are never going back to the party of Paul Ryan, Karl Rove and Jeb Bush.". (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/dannydeurbina/status/1632153342427185152

Trump listed numerous “villains and scoundrels” from whom he hopes to liberate the United States, including globalists, communists, and the fake news media.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
LMAO laments:
"I would prefer they go back to the party of Barry Goldwater and Calvin Coolidge"

I got just the device for you to get back there:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

LMAO laments:
"I would prefer they go back to the party of Barry Goldwater and Calvin Coolidge"

I got just the device for you to get back there:

I assume that's a model, and if so, it's pretty damn cool looking.  Might have to look for one of those for the den....

Offline BellyAche

In 1980, Reagan sowed the seeds for today's MAGA/America First Movement.  Those seeds laid dormant --- nearly destroyed by some foolish gospel that "conservatism" had won the day --- until 2015 when Donald Trump breathed life back into Reagan's vision for America.

Well, some folks may go back to a renewed Reagan vision in referring to Trump, but many have to hold their noses as the two men are exponentially different in character and moral fiber. I would personally not compare their personalities. Trump wanes in a big way, and his personal faults may be his downfall in the end.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kamaji

Well, some folks may go back to a renewed Reagan vision in referring to Trump, but many have to hold their noses as the two men are exponentially different in character and moral fiber. I would personally not compare their personalities. Trump wanes in a big way, and his personal faults may be his downfall in the end.

The two men are opposites in almost every way.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Apart from decorum, the biggest difference between the two was that Reagan never personalized policy differences, and was a master at building coalitions.

It's worth remembering that Reagan got his legislation passed without ever having control of the House.   In fact, it was never even close.  During his two terms, Republicans had between 166-192 seats, and Democrats had from 243-269.   But he was very careful not to make personal enemies in Congress so that he could put together winning coalitions on issues that included people who opposed him on other issues.  He also excelled at surrounding himself with very smart, loyal people who shared his policy views.  He used good-natured humor to highlight differences rather than sheer nastiness.

These are the exact qualities that Trump lacks.   He personalizes all disagreements, needlessly makes permanent enemies through gratuitous insults, and shows an astonishing lack of ability to find and retain loyal, capable subordinates.

A perfect example of this is how Reagan handled his disagreements and battle with GHWB versus how Trump handled Jeb.  Despite their disagreements, and despite losing to Reagan in the primary, GHWB came to be a strong supporter and friend of Reagan.

In contrast, Trump made a personal enemy out of Jeb, along with Jeb's powerful network of family and friends within the Republican Party.  And while many of Trump's supporters think that's funny, you have to wonder ultimately what good that did in terms of building a coalition for actually governing.

It's worth remembering that Reagan got his legislation passed without ever having control of the House.

Other than tax cuts,  what legislation was that @Maj. Bill Martin

But he was very careful not to make personal enemies in Congress so that he could put together winning coalitions

Like the one for amnesty?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Other than tax cuts,  what legislation was that @Maj. Bill Martin

Like the one for amnesty?

Please see the first paragraph of my post #79 in this thread:

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,491284.75.html#msg2781981
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:36:09 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Alex Bruesewitz
@alexbruesewitz

Trump’s Iowa speech last night made one thing very clear: he is the most forward thinking & innovative candidate running.

Trump wants to lead us to a better future. His primary opponents are trying to return us back to the party of Bush.

Not interested in going back!

1:36 PM · Mar 14, 2023

Offline dfwgator

The two men are opposites in almost every way.

This isn't the same country it was in Reagan's time.

Offline Kamaji

No, it isn't.  But Reagan's approach to things would still provide superior results to Trump's thin-skinned cry-baby approach.  And Reagan would not have sat tight for the amount of debt increase that Trump was all too happy to go along with.

Reagan's approach is still superior, in every respect.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

No, it isn't.  But Reagan's approach to things would still provide superior results to Trump's thin-skinned cry-baby approach.  And Reagan would not have sat tight for the amount of debt increase that Trump was all too happy to go along with.

Reagan's approach is still superior, in every respect.
:amen:

Offline LMAO

True

You could find plenty of Democrats who still loved their country back in Reagan’s time

Can anyone name any Democrats in Congress today who they would consider close to the likes of “Scoop” Jackson or Zell Miller?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy