Author Topic: A New Board Game to Induce Climate Guilt in School Children  (Read 116 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A New Board Game to Induce Climate Guilt in School Children
« on: March 20, 2023, 10:43:35 am »
A New Board Game to Induce Climate Guilt in School Children
5 hours ago Eric Worrall 10 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

Just what we need, right? A board game designed to make kids feel even more miserable and guilty about climate change.

Finnish School Children Solve This Climate Puzzle Every Year. Can You?

The Climate Puzzle, a board game developed by Danish climate company D-mat, uses emissions data to show players how to live more sustainably.

Every year, hundreds of teenagers in Lahti, Finland, play a game.

Instructors pull out a large board with a series of squares, each labeled with a climate-friendly action. “I will reduce the energy of doing laundry,” reads one. “I will buy items secondhand or recycled (90% of purchased items),” goes another. “I will favour organic food.” “I will try a vegan diet (12 months/person/year).” “I will favour sustainable services.” The size of each square corresponds with the impact of the action it outlines; the square about eating organic, for example, is less than a tenth the size of the one about going vegan.

This is the Climate Puzzle, a board game developed by Finnish sustainability company D-mat Ltd.and purchased for Lahti’s schools to help students learn to live more sustainably. The game uses emissions data from “1.5-Degree Lifestyles,” a study that D-mat Chief Executive Officer Michael Lettenmeier helped write, which calculates how much carbon each person can emit to keep global warming below the 1.5C threshold outlined in the Paris Agreement. Numerically, the report suggests an individual carbon budget of 2.5 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per person per year by 2030. Practically, that means many people would need to dramatically change how they travel, eat and vacation in an ever-warming world.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/03/19/a-new-board-game-to-induce-climate-guilt-in-school-children/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson