Author Topic: Critics Blast Oregon’s Efforts to Phase Out Petroleum Diesel and Restrict Farming  (Read 119 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.theepochtimes.com/critics-blast-oregons-efforts-to-phase-out-petroleum-diesel-and-restrict-farming_5128270.html

Critics Blast Oregon’s Efforts to Phase Out Petroleum Diesel and
Restrict Farming

By Scottie Barnes
March 17, 2023

A series of climate bills now before the Oregon legislature could devastate rural communities and further fuel inflation, according to detractors.

The bills would phase out petroleum-based diesel fuel, levy sweeping new taxes on tires and off-road agriculture equipment, and place a moratorium on new and existing dairy and poultry farms, the majority of which are family owned and operated.

The farm moratorium “would magnify the strain on our food supply chain and further drive up costs for milk, chicken, eggs, beef, and pork,” wrote Republican state Rep. Cyrus Javadi, whose district on the northern Oregon coast has a timber, agriculture and dairy-based economy.

“Without diesel, we can’t provide the lumber and materials necessary to meet Governor Kotek’s homeless state of emergency declaration to build 30,000 new homes,” testified Angelita Sanchez before the Committee of Environment and Energy on March 9. Sanchez is co-director of Timber Unity, a natural resources PAC with 60,000 members.

If these policies are enacted, she fears they will create a break in the supply chain while raising the cost of goods and services to astronomical levels.

House Bill 3158, the “Clean Diesel Engine Tax” would levy a suite of new taxes on off-road machinery, such as that used in farming and logging.

Taxes would apply to sales and rentals of off-road machinery, tires, and the dyed diesel fuel used to power farm and other heavy equipment.

The bill also includes a “privilege tax” for engaging in the business of providing off-road diesel equipment and heavy duty vehicles.
Meanwhile Senate Bill 85, the “Relating to Confined Animal Feeding Operations” bill would place a moratorium on new permits for farm operations” with more than 2,500 dairy cows and more than 125,000 chickens

The bill comes in response to a growing number of large operations proposed in the Willamette Valley near the Santiam River and concerns about pollutants and water use. It calls for an eight-year moratorium until the state studies the environmental, social, and public health impacts of such operations.

Nearly 700 environmental advocates, farmers and representatives from industry testified in person or in writing at a March 6 Senate Committee on Natural Resources hearing to express their opposition or support for the bill.

“This legislation would only accelerate the loss of family farms and local food production, killing jobs and businesses. As a result, Oregon would have to rely more on out-of-state livestock products,” Javadi wrote in his testimony.

More at URL above...

Offline LMAO

It won’t be long before Oregon is mentioned in the same sentence as California, Illinois, and New York
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I would have to think that this is way beyond a state's constitutional power to interfere that much into interstate commerce.
The Republic is lost.