Author Topic: Immigration Courts Are Working Faster, And Getting Further Behind  (Read 106 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Immigration Courts Are Working Faster, And Getting Further Behind
March 02, 2023

Immigration Court case closures have reached record highs, but the docket keeps getting longer, due to the Biden administration’s sieve-like admission policies. With a current backlog of 2.1 million cases, closures would have to double existing levels just to keep up with all the new filings – and that’s not going to happen.

During the first four months of fiscal year 2023, case closures totaled 172,180, 85 percent higher than the same period of 2019, according to Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC).

Meantime, new Department of Homeland Security (DHS) filings in Immigration Court are up even more. The court is on pace this year to receive nearly 1 million new Notices to Appear (NTAs) seeking to get immigrants in front of a judge.

In fact, the NTA figures are understated and case closures are inflated. As TRAC explains:

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2023/03/02/immigration-courts-are-working-faster-and-getting-further-behind
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson