Author Topic: Not a Lot of F-35s Are Flying Right Now  (Read 112 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Not a Lot of F-35s Are Flying Right Now
« on: March 03, 2023, 03:31:41 pm »
Not a Lot of F-35s Are Flying Right Now
The Lightning II is mighty lonely at the moment.

BY SASCHA BRODSKYPUBLISHED: FEB 15, 2023
hill air force base's fighter wings fly dozens of f 35a fighters in combat exercise in utah
George Frey//Getty Images
The F-35 isn’t keeping up with combat readiness goals.

One reason might be due to a lack of spare parts and maintenance equipment.

The F-35 has experienced various technical problems over the years.

The troubled F-35 Lightning II family of fighter jets is struggling to stay in the air.

A new report finds that the F-35 isn’t keeping up with combat readiness goals and fell behind previous records in 2022. The Pentagon’s costliest weapons program has a long way to go before it can compete with older and less expensive combat aircraft in terms of availability to fly actual missions.

Between 2021 and 2022, the F-35A’s availability dropped 11 percentage points from 65 percent to 54, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report. The F-35B’s availability also dipped by seven percentage points—from 61 percent to 54. Meanwhile, the F-35C’s availability jumped from 53 percent to 58 percent. The report also found that the F-35 had a lower mission-capable rate than older F-22s and F-15s.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a42912833/f-35-availability-problems/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Not a Lot of F-35s Are Flying Right Now
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 03:33:09 pm »
I thought the F-35 was supposed to be the best plane since the Sopwith Camel! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson