Author Topic: Trump calls DeSantis ‘wheelchair over the cliff kind of guy’ in odd rant  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trump calls DeSantis ‘wheelchair over the cliff kind of guy’ in odd rant

https://nypost.com/2023/02/28/trump-goes-left-to-attack-desantis-on-medicare-ss/

Here's Trump's actual Truth Social Post so everyone can judge for themselves:

Great Poll numbers are springing forth for your favorite President, me, against Ron DeSanctus (& Biden). I guess people are finding out that he wanted to CUT SOCIAL SECURITY & RAISE THE MINIMUM AGE TO AT LEAST 70, at least 4 times. LIKEWISE WITH MEDICARE, WANTED BIG CUTS. HE IS A WHEELCHAIR OVER THE CLIFF KIND OF GUY, JUST LIKE HIS HERO, failed politician Paul Ryan, the FoxNews ratings destroyer who led Mitt Romney’s Presidential Campaign down the tubes. GLOBALIST’S ALL! WE WANT AMERICA FIRST!!!

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109942322921920696
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 05:44:24 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

Wow.  Trump has gone Full Democrat.  Never go full Democrat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Yup.  It is literally the exact image Democrats used to attack Republicans in the past who were trying to put Social Security on a solvent path..  It makes it absolutely impossible to have even a discussion about how you can return long-term solvency to Social Security without screwing over the seniors who need it for retirement. 

I'm a few years away, but right now, it is projected to be running a massive deficit when I'm in my mid-70's, and I have zero faith the younger generations are going to be willing to pony up the money to pay it all.   That's why it has to be discussed now, because the sooner you make fixes, the less drastic those fixes need to be.

But we can't even talk about it because Trump is demagoguing the issue as a Republican.  Completely irresponsible on his part, but he thinks it works to his political advantage so he doesn't care.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:27:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

This may be one of those “GOP at the crossroads” moment.

Big spending, big government populism represented by Trump

Vs

Limited federal government, fiscal sanity represented by ( fingers crossed) DeSantis
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

Vs

Limited federal government, fiscal sanity represented by ( fingers crossed) DeSantis

↑    ↑    ↑    ↑
    T    H    I    S
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Vs

That's exactly it.

I've always detested populism, but there are times it can be a great short-term bit of medicine to raise issues that were being ignored by elites.

But as a long-term political philosophy, it will always and inevitably drift left, and turn into soak the rich, redistributionist big government.  And that's exactly where Trump is heading right now.   He used to be in favor of single-payer health care, and I have zero doubts he'd go in that exact same direction if he thought it would gain him votes.

I'm a small-government conservative, not a populist, and my votes are always going to be cast on that basis.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:14:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

One argument that comes from some Trump supporters that has always bugged me is the idea that we should elect him because he can self-finance his campaigns, and therefore won't be beholden to any "special interests".

In other words, from here on forward, the only people we should consider to represent us average Americans are multi-billionaires, most of whom will have been born into wealth themselves.

Great plan!

Offline Kamaji

One argument that comes from some Trump supporters that has always bugged me is the idea that we should elect him because he can self-finance his campaigns, and therefore won't be beholden to any "special interests".

In other words, from here on forward, the only people we should consider to represent us average Americans are multi-billionaires, most of whom will have been born into wealth themselves.

Great plan!

Good point.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Good thing this wasn't a Clinton post.

Never can tell ..... allegory and reality are blurred concepts with them.

And to the post itself.  More self inflicted implosion, and poltical pandering, and positioning.  By positioning, he is actually admitting more of his left of center financial political leanings.  And I am gusssing a contingency based 3rd party run as a Teddy Roosevelt Liberal.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

Yet he still caved to the GOPe, even when he didn't have to.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

The truth about Trump is self evident for anyone who is willing to look and be honest. He's toxic.

Offline Hoodat

The truth about Trump is self evident for anyone who is willing to look and be honest.

You can lead a horse to the truth, but you can't make her accept it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

That's exactly it.

I've always detested populism, but there are times it can be a great short-term bit of medicine to raise issues that were being ignored by elites.

But as a long-term political philosophy, it will always and inevitably drift left, and turn into soak the rich, redistributionist big government.  And that's exactly where Trump is heading right now.   He used to be in favor of single-payer health care, and I have zero doubts he'd go in that exact same direction if he thought it would gain him votes.

I'm a small-government conservative, not a populist, and my votes are always going to be cast on that basis.

Didn’t Trump also propose a Democrat style child care plan when he was running a 2016?

Trump supporters think that we’re selfish and cruel because we want spending cuts. They think the reason why we want a smaller federal government and fiscal conservatism is because we just want to keep more of our money and it’s all about “me me ME DAMMIT.” 

But they don’t seem to realize that the path we are on is going to be more cruel to a larger number of people than any kind of cuts in a social program. You see it already with inflation

Having said that, I do not oppose a safety net. I understand things happen to people. I don’t expect an 85-year-old woman with osteoporosis to go back to work. But doing nothing with Medicare and Social Security, as Trump is suggesting, is not an option.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Kamaji

Didn’t Trump also propose a Democrat style child care plan when he was running a 2016?

Trump supporters think that we’re selfish and cruel because we want spending cuts. They think the reason why we want a smaller federal government and fiscal conservatism is because we just want to keep more of our money and it’s all about “me me ME DAMMIT.” 

But they don’t seem to realize that the path we are on is going to be more cruel to a larger number of people than any kind of cuts in a social program. You see it already with inflation

Having said that, I do not oppose a safety net. I understand things happen to people. I don’t expect an 85-year-old woman with osteoporosis to go back to work. But doing nothing with Medicare and Social Security, as Trump is suggesting, is not an option.

:thumbsup:

Offline Idiot

Trump calls DeSantis ‘wheelchair over the cliff kind of guy’ in odd rant

https://nypost.com/2023/02/28/trump-goes-left-to-attack-desantis-on-medicare-ss/

Here's Trump's actual Truth Social Post so everyone can judge for themselves:

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109942322921920696
Sadly Trump is who he is.  He just can't shut his danged mouth.  Even if he wins the nomination, there aren't enough supporters left to win the general election.  You have to love that DeSantis is totally ignoring him while he goes on these insane rants.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Sadly Trump is who he is.  He just can't shut his danged mouth.  Even if he wins the nomination, there aren't enough supporters left to win the general election.  You have to love that DeSantis is totally ignoring him while he goes on these insane rants.

Perfect application of the "never wrestle with a pig" aphorism.

I will say that the only saving grace about Trump's attacks on DeSantis is that usually, you can count on the opposing party to bring up any attacks made on a nominee by their primary opponents, like GHWB's "voodoo economics" comment about Reagan.  But in this case, a Democrat choosing to bring up an attack made by Trump to use on another Republican in the general election may well backfire.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 08:10:23 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I like that DeSantis isn't responding because clearly that is what the reality star in Trump wants, but if DeSantis were to respond it should be simple maybe taking a cue from Reagan something like his "There you go again".

Offline Hoodat

Yep.  That was back when he defended taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood, saying they did a lot of good things.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

Don't forget "the government is going to pay for the 20% who can't afford healthcare"...

Offline LMAO

How many Democrats  has Donald Trump donated to versus Ron DeSantis?

Donald Trump has a pretty significant list but I can’t find any kind of history of DeSantis donating to Democrat politicians

Barry Goldwater

Offline Idiot

Donald Trump has a pretty significant list but I can’t find any kind of history of DeSantis donating to Democrat politicians
Shhhhhhh....don't let RIV know.  happy77

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I like that DeSantis isn't responding because clearly that is what the reality star in Trump wants, but if DeSantis were to respond it should be simple maybe taking a cue from Reagan something like his "There you go again".

The best thing to do is let The big Orange ass stew in his own juices.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DB

That's okay... Wealthy people get a pass on buying politicians in both parties. That's just what they do...

Offline ScottinVA

DeSantis doesn’t have the time or desire to respond to Trump’s rants… he’s too busy serving the people who re-elected him.

Offline LMAO

Don't forget "the government is going to pay for the 20% who can't afford healthcare"...

Trump once said that we should borrow because interest rates were low. But those low interest rates were hiding the true cost of the debt

Now, with interest rates rising, he still hasn’t had a “come to Jesus” moment on borrowing and spending
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:01:09 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater