Author Topic: US prepares MK 48 torpedoes as Chinese threat looms  (Read 84 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US prepares MK 48 torpedoes as Chinese threat looms
« on: February 28, 2023, 02:32:25 pm »
News
February 27, 2023
US prepares MK 48 torpedoes as Chinese threat looms

The US prepares itself and its Asia-Pacific allies with MK 48 torpedoes intended for use in the South China Sea as tensions build for conflict against China.

John Hill

While the war in Europe against Russian aggression has led to a marked increase in defence investment, particularly for land-based platforms, from HIMARS to MBTs, the US and its Asia-Pacific allies appear to be shoring up their naval warfare investment.

As Russian forces appear to be contained as a regional level threat, the US is starting to turn an eye to another autocratic regime that poses an equally sinister threat in the Far East.

The People’s Republic of China (PRC) have been testing the limits of the so-called rule-based order by illegally asserting authority over swathes of territory in the South China Sea (SCS), including the autonomous country of Taiwan. This leads to a greater need for maritime support in the Asia-Pacific region.

Recently, on the 24 February, the US Department of Defense (DoD) awarded two contracts to support the MK 48 Mod 7 Heavyweight Torpedo Programme.

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/us-torpedoes-against-china/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US prepares MK 48 torpedoes as Chinese threat looms
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 02:34:10 pm »
Has Gen. Milley called his friends in China yet to let them know he won't allow our best weapons to be used against them? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson