Author Topic: Refighting the Vietnam War By Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 222 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Refighting the Vietnam War By Victor Davis Hanson
« on: February 27, 2023, 02:52:25 pm »
Refighting the Vietnam War

Triumph Regained shows that America’s war in Vietnam could have been won earlier at far less cost, and in fact almost was, even belatedly by 1968.
By Victor Davis Hanson
February 26, 2023

Military historian and Hillsdale College professor Mark Moyar has just published Triumph Regained: The Vietnam War, 1965-1968, which is the second in what will become a massive three-volume revision of the entire Vietnam War. It is a book that should be widely read, much discussed, and reviewed in depth regardless of one’s view of that sad chapter in American diplomacy and conflict in Vietnam.

The first book, Triumph Forsaken: The Vietnam War, 1954-1965 appeared in 2006. It gained considerable attention for its heterodox analysis of the postwar origins of communist aggression against the South, beginning with the disastrous French colonial experience and its transference to the Americans. Moyar described the Byzantine intrigue through which the Kennedy Administration inserted American ground troops into Vietnam, and why and how his successor Lyndon B. Johnson rapidly escalated the American presence. 

Moyar’s controversial argument in volume one centered on the disastrous decisions of these two administrations that ensured Americans would be sent into an uninviting distant theater of operations in the dangerous neighborhood of both communist China and Russia. Worse, they would be asked to fight under self-imposed limitations of the nuclear age in which their leaders could not achieve victory or perhaps even define it. 

more
https://amgreatness.com/2023/02/26/refighting-the-vietnam-war/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Refighting the Vietnam War By Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 03:02:08 pm »
Had LBJ listened to his military commanders instead of Robert S. McNamara and his ilk, we could have ended the war on our terms during any six-month period you care to name after June of 1965 and before we began pulling our troops out.

Mark Moyer is a truth teller and being such has been very costly for him and his family. Happy to know that he has finally found a home at Hillsdale.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 03:22:31 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Re: Refighting the Vietnam War By Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 03:14:15 pm »
Timely article by VDH, especially considering the insanity being discussed around getting involved in The Ukraine.  I think that may partly may be his intent.

Needs to be repeated that in our plethora of proxy wars since World War 2, those which we threatened the intersts of the Russia (USSR) or Chicoms have been very costly/deadly-  Cold War, Korea, Vietnam.   

History does not have to be repeated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.