Author Topic: ‘Cars should be limited to 20mph to avoid an e-scooter ban’  (Read 213 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Cars should be limited to 20mph to avoid an e-scooter ban’
« on: February 27, 2023, 12:30:25 pm »
‘Cars should be limited to 20mph to avoid an e-scooter ban’
FEBRUARY 27, 2023
By Paul Homewood

The war on car drivers goes on; no doubt it won’t take long for Sadiq Khan to join in:

In the UK, the rising tide of scooters was slowed by arcane rules that effectively banned their use on public roads. But after initial trials starting in 2020, rented e-scooters hired through smartphone apps have begun popping up in cities across the country.

A backlash has followed, with some pedestrians complaining the high-powered scooters are antisocial and clog up pavements when left lying around.

Fears have also been raised about their safety, with 12 fatalities in the year to June 2022. Last June, a 71-year-old grandmother became the first pedestrian killed by an e-scooter in the UK when she was hit by a rider.

Most deaths have been scooter users involved in road accidents, however.

An analysis by the Department for Transport found that scooter users were about three times more likely to get hurt compared to cyclists – with 13 "casualties" every million miles.

Wayne Ting, chief executive of Lime, the world’s largest e-scooter and e-bike rental company, believes it is not his transport that is to blame.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/02/27/cars-should-be-limited-to-20mph-to-avoid-an-e-scooter-ban/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: ‘Cars should be limited to 20mph to avoid an e-scooter ban’
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 10:45:52 pm »
Were their batteries the first to die?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

Re: ‘Cars should be limited to 20mph to avoid an e-scooter ban’
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 10:50:25 pm »
:facepalm2: