Author Topic: Ditching social media improves teens’ body image within weeks, study shows  (Read 240 times)

Online Kamaji

Ditching social media improves teens’ body image within weeks, study shows

By Natalie O'Neill
February 23, 2023

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder — but young social media fans may feel better about themselves if they just don’t look.

Halving the time spent on social media “significantly” improved some teenagers’ body images within weeks, according to a study from the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute.

Avoiding the constant barrage of air-brushed influencers and gorgeous models helped teens feel better about their own weight and looks after just three weeks, according to the researchers, who partnered with the American Psychological Association.

For the study, scientists chose 220 undergraduate students between 17 and 25 who were on social media apps for at least two hours a day, and had signs of depression or anxiety.

Participants were first asked to rank, from one to five, how they felt their looks. They were also asked to answer questions like “I’m pretty happy about the way I look” and “I am satisfied with my weight” on a scale from “never” to “always.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/02/23/less-social-media-improves-teens-body-image-study/