Author Topic: Keeping firearms out of easy reach key to preventing military suicides  (Read 248 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Keeping firearms out of easy reach key to preventing military suicides
By Meghann Myers
 Feb 24, 04:48 PM

An independent review commission recommended dozens of changes to Defense Department suicide prevention programs. (Chris Hondros/Getty Images)
Limiting easy access to guns, including those purchased on base, is one of the top ways the Defense Department could cut down on military deaths by suicide, according to an independent commission tasked with reviewing the Defense Department’s suicide prevention programs.

Firearms are used in 66% of suicides among active duty troops, 72% among reservists and 78% in the National Guard, according to the commission’s report, whereas guns are employed in roughly half of suicides in the U.S. overall.

The Defense Department has tried to decrease access to lethal means, but the commission found it could do more to track firearms purchases on military bases, one of more than 100 recommendations it made in a report released Friday. The report was the culmination of hundreds of focus groups from nine site visits around the world since the summer.

“Often ... someone found out that a service member had purchased or acquired a firearm, often on base at a military exchange ... only after they had used it to kill themselves,” said Craig Bryan, an Air Force veteran and clinical psychologist at Ohio State University, in a briefing Friday. “This was a common refrain in our site visits, that military personnel wanted to encourage a culture of secure firearm storage, and also to reduce convenient access to firearm acquisition, especially for those who are in acutely elevated distress.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/02/24/keeping-firearms-out-of-easy-reach-key-to-preventing-military-suicides/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Keeping firearms out of easy reach key to preventing military suicides
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 04:02:39 pm »
Will the troops train with broomsticks instead of real weapons as some troops in the Civil War did? :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 04:03:26 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 08:13:02 am »
I would bet the bluejacket's manual still tells sailors how to tie an adequate knot.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:10:55 pm »
There seem to be a lot of our military that are committing or contemplating suicide, so let's all blame the guns and pretend locking them up will make the suicides go away 9999hair out0000.

I have one response to the idiots on this independent review commission

To me this just exemplifies how little Biden and those morons Austin and Milley care about our military, they try and blow smoke up Americas @$$ with this malarkey because they know the reason so many are contemplating and committing suicide is their bullshit policies and ill treatment of those in the service and veterans.