Author Topic: Twin Cities snow emergency alerts fall short for non-English speakers  (Read 431 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Twin Cities snow emergency alerts fall short for non-English speakers

St. Paul offers snow emergency alerts in four foreign languages. Minneapolis sends texts in English, with a link to a website that provides a helpline and abbreviated information in three languages.

By ALFONZO GALVAN
FEBRUARY 24, 2023

As this week’s snowstorm dropped more than a foot of snow in the Twin Cities, a downpour of alerts and news also hit some residents’ phones.

Local governments kept residents informed about snow emergency alerts and parking restrictions that help cities plow snow-clogged streets. Residents were reminded to move their vehicles or risk getting ticketed or towed. But a section of the community wasn’t as up-to-date on the developments—non-English speakers.

St. Paul offers snow emergency alerts via text message in multiple foreign languages. Their alerts note when plowing starts before linking to a city website for updates. Minneapolis’ text message alerts are only available in English, and simply state that a snow emergency has been declared while directing users to a link with more information.

The Minneapolis link leads to a website with information in English about snow emergency times, dates, and parking information. It also features considerably abbreviated alerts in three foreign languages and an informational phone number at the bottom. Most of the English information is not translated on the website.

https://sahanjournal.com/culture-community/snow-emergency-alerts-minneapolis-st-paul-non-english-speakers-minnesota/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Twin Cities snow emergency alerts fall short for non-English speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 03:33:50 pm »
See!!  The big liberal center of Minneapolis really doesn't care about illegals!! **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 03:41:12 pm »

click...click....click.....send!!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 05:51:27 pm »
If you are going to live in a country you are not native to it is on you to learn the language of that country, don't whine because you are to lazy or arrogant to learn it. America has made it too easy for people not to blend in, I was outraged decades ago when I went to the CA DMV to renew my license and I saw they had had tapes and tests in multiple languages along with employees to assist the test takers in their 'native' language while English speakers were on their own. It brought understanding as to why some people were so unsafe on the road.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 06:40:43 pm »
Speak English.  No problem.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 06:44:13 pm »
Twin Cities snow emergency alerts fall short for non-English speakers

No, it is their own conscientious refusal to learn English before coming to an English-speaking country that fell short for them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 08:58:52 pm »
If you are going to live in a country you are not native to it is on you to learn the language of that country, don't whine because you are to lazy or arrogant to learn it. America has made it too easy for people not to blend in, I was outraged decades ago when I went to the CA DMV to renew my license and I saw they had had tapes and tests in multiple languages along with employees to assist the test takers in their 'native' language while English speakers were on their own. It brought understanding as to why some people were so unsafe on the road.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 09:30:13 pm »

That's right.