Author Topic: RNC chair stresses GOP candidates should back whoever wins 2024 nomination  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ah, now I understand.  I was thinking after the primaries were over.  Thanks for clarifying.  I was confused because McDaniels' plea is the exact same thing you were demanding of Cruz supporters back in 2016. 

Nope.  The expectation that Cruz would support Trump came after Trump won the nomination and at the Republican National Convention when he uttered his national career ending phrase:"Vote your conscience"  ----- not during the primaries.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nobody is being asked to give a specific endorsement of any specific candidate.  They are all being asked, in general, if they will support the nominee whomever that is.

If someone asks "why would anyone do that", it's because it benefits all of them if the eventual nominee has as much support as possible because they all want to be that nominee and have as much support as possible.

Whether each of the candidates is willing to make that promise is up to them.  I just think that trying to maximize support for the eventual nominee is squarely within her job duties.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 11:19:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

Figure this:

Becker News
@NewsBecker
“I think they're all going to sign it.”

RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel says she expects that Trump will sign a pledge to support the Republican nominee even if it's not him.

In other words, McDaniel expects that Trump will sign a pledge to do exactly what he demanded of others in 2016 and 2020.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-