Author Topic: RNC chair stresses GOP candidates should back whoever wins 2024 nomination  (Read 1132 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
RNC chair stresses GOP candidates should back whoever wins 2024 nomination
by Julia Mueller - 02/26/23 10:06 AM ET

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel on Sunday stressed that GOP presidential candidates should get behind whoever wins the party’s 2024 nomination.

“The voters get to choose. And if the Republican voters pick the nominee, then everybody on that debate stage, who is running … in the Republican National Committee primaries, should say, ‘I’m going to support the nominee,’ ” McDaniel said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

McDaniel, who just won a fourth term as RNC chair, also said she expects GOP candidates will be asked to sign a pledge that they’ll support the eventual nominee in order to get on the debate stage.

“I think they’re all going to sign it. I really do. I think the voters are very intent on winning and they do not want to see a debate stage of people saying, ‘I’m not going to support this guy,'” she said. “What they need to say is ‘I’m gonna do everything I can to support Joe Biden’ and that means supporting the nominee of the Republican Party.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3874593-rnc-chair-stresses-gop-candidates-should-back-whoever-wins-2024-nomination/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ronna needs to worry about doing her job, and winning seats with good candidates rather than lecturing Republicans about what they need to be doing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Ronna needs to worry about doing her job, and winning seats with good candidates rather than lecturing Republicans about what they need to be doing.

Well, as head of the RNC,  that has to be her position.  The nominee necessarily has majority support from the convention delegates , who are elected by primary voters.

My guess is that most of the candidates will make that same pledge, except perhaps Trump and anyone like Cheney who is openly anti-Trump.

Voters obviously don't sign pledges, and can support or not support whomever they want.  She's just talking about the people who are competing for the party's nomination.   And I don't think it's an unreasonable requirement.  If you won't promise to support the candidate whom a majority of elected delegates in that party support, then you probably shouldn't be running in that party's primary.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 03:39:42 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online roamer_1

Thankfully, I am no longer a Republican.
No such dictates apply.

I will vote for who is worthy, and no one else.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Ronna McDaniel has the strategic accumen of a Crack Head on a bender.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Dear Ronna, KMBWA!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Thankfully, I am no longer a Republican.
No such dictates apply.

I will vote for who is worthy, and no one else.

First, I am not a fan of hers. I know Harmeet Dhillon personally, and thought she would have been a much better choice.  Tough as nails, and very conservative.

But in fairness, she wasn't saying that Republican voters are required to vote for whomever is the nominee, which is how you guys seem to be interpreting that statement.

She's saying that candidates who run for the Republican nomination and want to participate in debates are expected to back whomever the eventual nominee is.

I think that is an entirely reasonable expectation.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 04:00:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
First, I am not a fan of hers. I know Harmeet Dhillon personally, and thought she would have been a much better choice.  Tough as nails, and very.conservative.

But in fairness, she wasn't saying that Republican voters are required to vote for whomever is the nominee.  She's saying that candidates who run for the Republican nomination and want to participate in debates are expected to back whomever the eventual nominee is.

So if and when Trump loses the '24 nominaton, what do you think her response will be.  My bet is she craters like like wilting flower.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

So if and when Trump loses the '24 nominaton, what do you think her response will be.  My bet is she craters like like wilting flower.

McDaniel?  I think she'd rather have someone other than Trump.  But regardless, I fully expect she'd support the Republican nominee.

I mean, she's technically the head of the party. If the head of the party won't support the person chosen by a majority of that party's elected delegates, It would be bizarre.

Or were you asking what she will do if Trump loses the nomination, and then refuses to support the nominee?  Obviously, there's nothing she can do about that.  I think the more likely scenario is that Trump refuses to make that promise in the first place.  If that's what happens, I don't expect he'd be excluded from all of the debates, though perhaps.se.of the organizers of individual debates might enforce that provision.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 04:03:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online corbe

Another recent endorsement that didn't work out for Trump, as this was obviously meant for his consumption.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:55:48 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

QFT

Why in the name of all that is holy would any candidate be asked to give blanket support to an opposing candidate in the heat of battle?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:54:15 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Hoodat

Who is the dumbass who picked this woman to run the RNC in the first place?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

First, I am not a fan of hers. I know Harmeet Dhillon personally, and thought she would have been a much better choice.  Tough as nails, and very conservative.

'Not a Romney' would be the primary prerequisite needed for me to support other than her.

REALLY.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Again, I don't like this woman. But isn't getting a Republican elected as president in 2024 one of her most important job responsibilities?   And isn't trying to ensure that the eventual nominee has as much backing as possible  from others in the party a key part of that responsibility?

Even if there are particular candidates that each of us wouldn't support if they are the nominee, And even if she personally feels the same way, her job is to get the maximum support possible for the eventual GOP nominee.

Online Hoodat

Again, I don't like this woman. But isn't getting a Republican elected as president in 2024 one of her most important job responsibilities?

Getting Republicans elected to Congress in 2022 certainly wasn't.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

3 out of the 4 one term Presidents in our generation were Republican, their track record is not stellar to begin with.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Why in the name of all that is holy would anyone be asked to give blanket support to an opposing candidate in the heat of battle?

Huh?  Trump isn't POTUS.  Who said anyone in this race is opposition or not?  It's a clean slate as far as I am concerned.

And the overall comment around giving "blanket support" from somebody like you who lives breathes Trump 24/7 is pretty danged  funny.
Did you major in "Irony" in College?

Huh?  Trump isn't POTUS.  Who said anyone in this race is opposition or not?  It's a clean slate as far as I am concerned.

And the overall comment around giving "blanket support" from somebody like you who lives breathes Trump 24/7 is pretty danged  funny.
Did you major in "Irony" in College?

What the hell are you talking about @catfish1957 ???  Seriously, have you started drinking early?  Why would any candidate be asked to give blanket support for a candidate he or she is opposing during the competition?  What about this question has your panties in a knot?

Online Hoodat

Why would any candidate be asked to give blanket support for a candidate he or she is opposing during the competition?

No one is asking that.  You made it up.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

FTA:

The voters get to choose. And if the Republican voters pick the nominee, then everybody on that debate stage, who is running … in the Republican National Committee primaries, should say, ‘I’m going to support the nominee,’ ” McDaniel said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Offline Kamaji

Go figure.

Online Hoodat

FTA:

The voters get to choose. And if the Republican voters pick the nominee, then everybody on that debate stage, who is running … in the Republican National Committee primaries, should say, ‘I’m going to support the nominee,’ ” McDaniel said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Ah, now I understand.  I was thinking after the primaries were over.  Thanks for clarifying.  I was confused because McDaniels' plea is the exact same thing you were demanding of Cruz supporters back in 2016.  So it is ironic seeing you take the exact opposite approach when it comes to your candidate.

I do remember Cruz getting behind Trump in 2016 and 2020.  Yet it is quite telling to see #AlwaysTrumpers such as yourself reserving the right to bail on the 2024 nominee.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
My days of holding my nose and voting for the Republican nominee have ended permanently.  If the Republican nominee wants my vote, it needs to be someone who I judge will bear true allegiance to the Constitution. ALL of it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Ah, now I understand.  I was thinking after the primaries were over.  Thanks for clarifying.  I was confused because McDaniels' plea is the exact same thing you were demanding of Cruz supporters back in 2016.  So it is ironic seeing you take the exact opposite approach when it comes to your candidate.

I do remember Cruz getting behind Trump in 2016 and 2020.  Yet it is quite telling to see #AlwaysTrumpers such as yourself reserving the right to bail on the 2024 nominee.

:thumbsup: