Author Topic: Third-biggest egg farm in US catches fire, 21 fire departments respond to huge blaze that likely kil  (Read 1462 times)

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Sure. That 5 ounce tuna can looks the same as the 6 ounce tuna can did, it's just a smidgen smaller...

Keep looking and you will see this everywhere. Smaller sizes means the price doesn't go up as much, and people think they are getting a deal.
Uh-huh, those are the same people that think they are getting a bargain at Dollar Tree and 99 Cent stores.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@roamer_1 I found freezing mayo to be a no-go. Homemade might work better, but I would try a very small test bit. I had some in my field gear that froze and the oils separated and the whole mess just wasn't mayo any more (the emulsion broke down). Now I have a two layer cooler that goes out to the well, with frozen stuff on the bottom, a layer of plastic grocery bags, and stuff I want to keep cool but not frozen above that with more grocery bags on top, at least during the winter. In summer I move the layers of grocery bags to the top and bottom to keep the cold in.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1 I found freezing mayo to be a no-go. Homemade might work better, but I would try a very small test bit. I had some in my field gear that froze and the oils separated and the whole mess just wasn't mayo any more (the emulsion broke down). Now I have a two layer cooler that goes out to the well, with frozen stuff on the bottom, a layer of plastic grocery bags, and stuff I want to keep cool but not frozen above that with more grocery bags on top, at least during the winter. In summer I move the layers of grocery bags to the top and bottom to keep the cold in.

Well that's why there ain't no sense in home made mayo. All it is is egg yolk and oil of some kind, whipped and emulsified... So it goes bad quick. Even in the fridge, maybe a week. I wish I knew something to preserve it better. But even at that, unless macaroni or potato salad, I don't think I'd use a pint in a month.

So it is pretty hard to make a small enough batch to not waste it all... That's why I thought I would maybe try freezing it... So thanks for your input on that.

Online berdie

Still the same thing.
The main problem with home made mayo is that it don't keep for nothing. I couldn't use a quart of it in time anyway.

I am gonna try freezing it, maybe in ice cube trays. Then thaw a little at a time. Dunno, but it is worth giving it a whirl for the cost of store bought.

In my other life I made ketchup/bbq sauce/salad dressing, the shelf life was good. Mustard wasn't cost effective since it was dirt cheap at the store.

Although I like home made mayo, it was expensive to make (not your problem in making it @roamer_1 ) but as you said the shelf life is short.

I don't know that it would freeze well. But I wonder if you could cut a recipe by a 4th? Or even a 1/2. I'd have to dig thru my recipes to see if that could be done.

If you freeze it and it turns out ok...please let me know.

Offline roamer_1

In my other life I made ketchup/bbq sauce/salad dressing, the shelf life was good. Mustard wasn't cost effective since it was dirt cheap at the store.

Although I like home made mayo, it was expensive to make (not your problem in making it @roamer_1 ) but as you said the shelf life is short.

I don't know that it would freeze well. But I wonder if you could cut a recipe by a 4th? Or even a 1/2. I'd have to dig thru my recipes to see if that could be done.

If you freeze it and it turns out ok...please let me know.

You know @berdie , most folks that have never had home made mayo would be shocked at the bright yellow color... Might find it off-putting just for that. But it tastes SO GOOD!

I will let you know about the freezing if I do.
Cutting it down is rough, because it takes a certain amount of body to get it to whippin... I think mine was four yolks, a teaspoon of salt, get it whippin, and then start drizzling oil into it... It really does not start getting body until at least half the oil is in it, and to get a 'hard peak', which is about what is called for, I don't think you could make a pint. It would likely be runny.

BUT, that was before I had a bullet mixer... That little devil is hell on wheels for whippin. And I might ought to try a pint with that. I will get some olive oil next time to the store and give it a whirl.

However, a while back, @Bigun twisted my arm during a conversation about the various mayos... I am pretty standard a Miracle Whip guy, though not so much that Hellman's is never to be found... They are more or less interchangeable... Though like I said, Bigun twisted my arm and made me go out and buy some Dukes. SO I STILL have two squeeze bottles of Dukes to get through, And this last can of Miracle Whip I just got, too...

I got the Miracle Whip for my world famous Crap Salad - Your standard celery and onion and mustard/mayo base that you'd use in any Potato salad starter... Only this is macaroni and imitation crab (Hence 'crap' salad)... We have a gathering coming on, and it has been requested. I didn't want to mess with the perfection of it for a gathering, so I went to my stand-by.

Though Bigun may have a point.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:29:15 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline LMAO

If the FBI and DOJ can pry themselves away from going after parents and Catholics attending mass, maybe we could stop these attacks on power stations and egg farms

The fact that our government doesn’t seem to be overly concerned about these tells me that they may be involved
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy